'Grand Theft Auto V': Putting Blockbuster Sales in Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I cant see any validity to including an MMO in here with console/PC games. 2 different animals that are not comparable. And given WoWs incredibly shrinking user base, it looks even stupider when you see their sales numbers in here.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Is MMO not video game? Just because it's on a different platform it's not valid? Then by your logic, COD is a multiplayer shooter, why compare it with GTA? Why compare them to SIMS?

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I can't believe I need to say this, but this article is putting things in to perspective people. It is not "OMFG here are the top selling shooting games".
If you don't compare it to other games and game types you have horse blinders on.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
For sales statistics it is unfair as WoW is a subscription based sales model. So they are only including the original development cost where their cost are on going (server maintenance, expansion cost, r&d) and their income constant.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
WoW was the best investment in the history of gaming, by Blizzard! With each year...it just keeps adding o that total. albeit a bit slower.I have to wonder what Rockstar's plans are for GTA Online...on current gen...it has a limited shelf life...

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Someone knows how to make pretty bar graphs that use statistics that have no relation. Its not adjusted for inflation. There is no mention of ongoing expenses related to MMO. On that matter where are DLC revenues? Shouldn't that be included if you are going to include subscription fees? Invalid on so many levels. Nice shot though.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
@Blessedman Its fine to compare to wow but the numbers should be based off of games sales not subscriptions for it to be a valid data point. The rest of your point totally agree.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
$800 million in one day. *Sigh* and to think I struggle with house payments on a monthly basis.

Good for them, they make great games.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Blockbuster games in a span of 10 years have already reached the point of being placed on a pedestal next to blockbuster movies. Its only a matter of time until they surpass movie sales.

As many gamer's already know, a quality game is much more bang for your entertainment buck than an hollywood movie.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Someone knows how to make pretty bar graphs that use statistics that have no relation. Its not adjusted for inflation. There is no mention of ongoing expenses related to MMO. On that matter where are DLC revenues? Shouldn't that be included if you are going to include subscription fees? Invalid on so many levels. Nice shot though.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Sorry for the double post I opened up my laptop, the browser refreshed and it posted again. Guides for some reason doesn't allow forum posts for article threads so I can't delete it.....

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
So many black ops games... Who plays these... how do they even differ..... Top selling games.. mind boggling..

Aug 15, 2013
I think the only game on this list I've played is Gran Turismo 3... I guess I just don't like shooters all that much.

Also the fact that the list isn't inflation adjusted is just bad statistics.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
if GTA5 made 800 mil its first day then the graph for highest grossing games ever is wrong (even ignoring the whole MMO debate). You cant show games that made ~750mil at the bottom and 10 bil at the top and not have a game that made 800 mil in there somewhere... especially when the game that you are writing the article on is that 800 mil game.

TammyHi17765516

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Only seriously interested people will be warmly welcomed,Thanks,,you have to work using a computer and internet.if you can do that and dedicate some time each day then you can do this with no problem. I have been working with this for a month and have made over $17,000 already. let me know if you need more here you go.
------------->>> http://ddp.net/blue48.amp

CheezMeister

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
In fact, it is relevent to compare the highest grossing games of all time and include an MMO. You think that COD doesn't pay for server maintenance? You think they don't have updates and DLC? Isn't that an ongoing cost? That's not what the graph is trying to portray. It's simpy listing the video games that have made the most money in history. It does not concern itself with how they went about doing that, only that they did. In fact, games like COD and many of the others on that list have purchaseable post-release content that users PAY for, earning them more gross revenue. So, it is valid to include WoW. Don't hate on them because they are, in fact, the most successful video game in history. You can be jaded by the quality (or lack thereof) of their recent content and let that color your opinion, that's your own loss. But don't think for a second that just because their subscription base is rapidly shrinking that they aren't still a massive legend. WoW will eventually cease to exist, but when they finally shut down that last server the can do it with a smile knowing that they set the bar higher than any current (and many future) games will never be able to reach.

As for comments about inflation, WoW has been out for 10+ years and is one of the oldest games on that list. Therefore your argument is made that much more invalid. Newer games should, because of inflation, be that much closer in the standings to a 10-year-old game. But they're not. If you adjust for inflation, I'd wager that WoW would be even further ahead, and you'd be crying harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.