Graphical glitch on brand new Toshiba L50-C-241 please help

Sir Arun

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
So I bought a new laptop from amazon and unboxed it today. It comes with Windows 10 pre-installed, no extra discs or anything; anyway, when I turned the laptop on the initial setup commenced, and then once that finished I was at the desktop.

One of my first actions was to check out whether the laptop's hardware really does match the specs advertized on amazon, so I wanted to open up dxdiag.

As a person who has been using Windows 7 for 7 years and thus completely new to Windows 10, I had some trouble finding the run bar until I figured it was the search button.

So I clicked that, and next moment the entire screen started acting like crazy while displaying warning messages that the Intel HD graphics adapter had reset after a crash. Not knowing what to do I immediately recorded the weird effects happening across the screen with my phone in case I need to prove why I am sending the laptop back.

See video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmsAj8jtjXg

I then managed to find the shutdown button and restarted the laptop, and everything was back to normal.

Still, I am bothered by this. If this happened to me on the first day itself, where's the guarantee something is not messed up with my laptop?

My questions to you, the community are as follows:

1) Can someone explain what the hell this was? Is this normal? I.e. does this occasionally happen when a PC finishes installing windows for the first time?

2) My Nvidia card is apparently on the latest driver. Should I update the drivers of the Intel HD card? If yes, how do I do it? There is an Intel HD onboard memory GPU control panel, but it doesnt have a button called "search for updates" or anything...one method would be to install Driver Booster 3 on the pc and have it update stuff

Please let me know what you think.

I am intending to test the laptop for the next couple days by installing games etc. and seeing if everything works normally. If this glitch happens again, I am sending it back.

If the glitch does not happen again, I still have a slightly uneasy feeling whether everything is fine with my pc. So your experience would be appreciated here.

Specs:

Name: Toshiba Satellite L50-C-241
Screen stats: 39,6 cm (15,6" Full-HD IPS panel)
CPU: Intel Core i5-6200U @ 2.3 GHz
RAM: 6GB
Hard Drive: Hybrid 1008GB SSHD,
GPU 1: Intel HD 520, driver version: 20.19.15.4360
GPU 2: NVIDIA GeForce 930M, driver version: 353.54

thanks

Hi,

I would say that it's not normal for a new laptop to do sure glitch like that but I would consider doing some test and troubleshooting with it as well.
- Do a clean install of the graphics card driver first.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- Do observe the laptop again and if the same problem will persist I would suggest taking it back.