Graphics Driver corrupted, reinstallation advice and help if any

Charles_174

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
I recently just reinstalled Malwarebytes anti-malware after it was requesting an update. It asked me to restart my computer to complete a broken installation process and after that was done I was able to install the update.

However, after that was over with I wanted to play one of my games and it said I couldn't due to a graphics device not existing. I tried to open up some of my other games and it came up with a similar message mentioning something with my graphics driver being non-existent or broken. This has happened before and during that time after about a day, Windows Defender ran a health scan and requested action to fix a device that it said was not working properly. It restarted and the issue was fixed. The problem I'm having now, Windows Defender has ran two scans in the span of 3 days and it hasn't noticed it so far.

Now what I'm asking on advice for is I want to attempt to reinstall my Graphics Driver, now if I do such a thing, will it install after I select "scan for hardware changes"? If it does and my driver gets fixed, my issue will be resolved, however if it doesn't, what should I do?

I'm on a Windows 10 64-bit desktop machine with an AMD Radeon R7 Graphics device.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

n9neman

Estimable
Aug 2, 2014
First off, you could try going into device manager (from the control panel, or just type device manager into the search bar in the bottom left start menu) finding the graphics card under "display adapters". Right click your graphics card, and click update driver software. Then, click the search online option. If it finds one and installs it, restart your pc after. If it doesn't work, you need to go to the AMD website and find the exact driver for your GPU and install it manually.

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Step 1.

AMD R7 GPU drivers

Go to the AMD website and download the latest driver for your graphics card. Windows Update doesn't always deliver the most up-to-date drivers. You can either choose the top driver which is non-WHQL, or the slightly older driver below it which comes with the Windows Hardware Quality Labs seal of approval.

Step 2.

Right mouse-click the Start menu and choose Apps & Features.
Locate and select the driver software from AMD in the Apps & features list and click Uninstall.

Step 3.

After the driver has been uninstalled, reboot.

Step 4.

Install the driver you downloaded in Step 1.

Charles_174

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017

That didn't work, I tried using the AMD Driver Autodetect and I guess it scanned and reinstalled it. I restarted and after a few minutes of letting it sit, I still get the same error as last time.

Charles_174

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017

I tried to uninstall the driver from the Apps and Features and it said "setup has detected and incompatible build, setup will now exit".

Anything? The option to modify it is there next to uninstall...

Charles_174

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017

Not entirely sure, but the labels are still here. HP Pavilion 500 PC Series

Mostly just basic HP hardware. It's has many BSOD's in the past such as "threat_stuck_in_device_driver" and "memory_management". I think the memory BSOD has something to do with one of my RAM sticks being loose inside the PC as a friend told me that's what it most likely is.