Solved! Great laptop for gaming & rending for US$800 to US$1,2k

Keeves

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
1_What is your budget?
$800 to $1,200

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17" minimum (I prefer a larger screen)

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Any resolution that will be decent on the 17"-18" screen

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Laptop (hoping to purchase between now and the upcoming Labor Day sale in early September)

5_How much battery life do you need?
At least 4 hours will be great and up to 8 hours even better

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes please, I will play Aion, TERA Online and FFXIV with medium to high settings on this laptop. Basically looking for games as graphically intense as Crisys 2

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Almost everything... blue-ray, image, photo and music editing, college work, 3D Max, Form Z, watching movies, office applications

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Anything that will be appropriate for the capacity of the laptop

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I have been looking at this list from Newogg (total of about 8 laptops are listed there) and needed advice on which of them would be the best bang for the buck for what I need it for. I will be playing a lot of games when I'm not doing school work. Your advice is very welcome and needed for this list

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%20600003982%20600004346&IsNodeId=1&name=17%22%20-%2017.3%22

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years probably

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Whichever that will be most appropriate.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm really really really interested in a laptop that has an i7 processor (hence that list)... if I have to go for an i5, please teach me why it is better than an i7 etc. I keep getting confused with the Dual core this and SLI that and how certain upgrades could (lock up?) the laptop. I just want a great laptop that I can use for a good while (2 years minimum) without trying to upgrade the graphic cards or processor etc every 6 months.

13_What country do you live in?
United States

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Answers in question 12 above pretty much covers everything... looking for great advice and insight into how to get the best laptop for the price... the reviews on brands like HP ENVY (dv8t?) and Acer keep generating more questions than answers for me. Thx in advance for all your help!