GTX 765M Unable to install Nvidia drivers (Alienware - Windows 10)

BattleT0ad

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
Recently I installed a Geforce GTX 765m in my Alienware m17xr4 with Windows 10 64-bit. I previously had a GTX 675m that had stopped working so I replaced it with this. The problem is that I cannot install the required Nvidia drivers for it.

In the device manager it appears as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter with a yellow exclamation point and in the device status it reads "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31) The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter." When I try the "search automatically for updated driver software" option it tells me my driver is already up to date.

Even when I try to install the drivers via the Nvidia installer it tells me I have no compatible graphics hardware. I've attempted to install both Windows 10 and 7 versions of the graphics drivers to no avail. I know the laptop is picking up the card to some extent because my old broken card never showed up at all in the device manager and when I remove the current card from my laptop the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter vanishes from the device manager. I've even updated my vBIOS but that hasn't helped either. I would really appreciate some help! This has been driving me crazy.

BattleT0ad

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015

I'm fairly certain it is. The laptop is meant to be upgrade-able in that respect and I've come across forums of people upgrading up to the 700m and 900m series. Also it says on the Nvidia site that the gtx 765m is supported with Windows 10.