GTX 850M temperature throttling. ASUS R510JK

marekkotek

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Hello,
I've got a problem with throttling on my GeForce 850M. Whenever the temperature reaches 80° C it starts to reduce its clocks from 900+MHz to 405MHz causing severe FPS drops. I get 72° C when im just browsing the internet and 80° to 90° when im playing games (depends on game). I've been reading about modding the BIOS and changing the throttling temperature a bit higher (preferably 92° C or even more) but there seems to be no mod for my BIOS. Im using ASUS r510jk laptop.
Answering some possible questions from you:
- Yes, I've set all things like power settings, maximum performance in Nvidia already, I am far past this point
- No, Nvidia inspector, Afterburner, EVGA Precision doesn't let me change max. temperature
- No, I am not running on battery.
- Please don't tell me about cooling pads, ambient temperature etc. because that is not the case
- When game is not yet afflicted by throttling it runs very smooth at high details so it's not the case of underperforming of 850M, apart of it being thrash due of this throttling thing.
I've been looking for answers for months, changing setting here and there and nothing seems to fix this. If modding my BIOS is necessity - is anyone there who can do it? (BIOS file is neither in *.bin, *.rom, nor *.exe extension - it's in *.303 extension which is the version of BIOS)
Questions:
- Can I somehow convert *.303 extension to *.rom, *bin, *exe so I can mod the BIOS?
- Can someone mod the BIOS if I provide him with file?
- Is modding the BIOS a necessity?
- Is there a possibility to set my minimal MHz reduced by throttling to something around my normal value so by that it will cheat the system and let it "throttle" but in reality without reducing my MHz?
Open for discussion and solutions.
Thanks in advance, cheers.

have u done a repaste and clean up the internals?an 850m should not be that hot.the throttling itself is for safe measure so that the gpu will not fry itself.if u are looking to keep this unit for a long time then i suggest do not do a bios mod.if u want to downclock your gpu then use nvidia inspector or msi afterburner.