Guess Epic's Most Profitable Game Ever (Hint: Not on PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
So a game that took 10%, and I'm being generous, of the effort of a real game made a lot of profit?

Shocking!

/end sarcasm.

v3nom777

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
This is not a world that I want to live in. Call me old fashioned, but I would like all of my games content at the purchase of said game.

It might be more profitable, but all those games pretty much suck, and they don't last more than two weeks.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Smartphone games are still in the nascent stage. When mobile processing power and gamer expectation scale up over the next few years, their development costs will skyrocket.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
LoL. They should raise the price for mobile games to $60 and see how profitable they become.
How about lowering the price to $20 - $30 rance for PC and consoles...

G

But seriously, this can only be terrible for gamers everywhere. Here's a $60.00 game...which by the way isn't complete. You can buy these little packs that "enhance" the game (up to what it was supposed to be at release). In the end, the $60.00 game costs about $100.00. Ahhh, but see here's the thing. The sheeple (morons) keep perpetuating this model so it probably won't end. If all the gamers in the world refused to buy DLC's, we could easily put the publishers (and some of the haughty developers) in their place.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Amazing how some writer here tries to market his favorite brand at any cost, poor journalism included![/citation]

Rantoc this is Tom's, not a news site. That said 99% of print, radio, tv and internet news people wouldn't know basic journalism if a 1st year textbook fell on their heads. They've gone infotainment and opinion commentary. It's a shame fact finding and unbiased information is all but dead.

Anything to get developers away from "console = good, everything else = port" mindset is a good thing. I'm not sold on the free to play model, but at least you can legally try a game before you set down cash.

I also appreciate the development time vs revenue but I would so wish they would change it to quality / game play time vs revenue. I just dislike playing a pretty game that I know after I finish I will never even look at it again.

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I hate Free to play model. Will be abused by big companies to nickel and dime the consumer. Who's the target? Casual players. Which is is unfortunately bringing the overall game quality down as well. Just my opinion. Sad times and hard to watch.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]LoL. They should raise the price for mobile games to $60 and see how profitable they become.How about lowering the price to $20 - $30 rance for PC and consoles...[/citation]
Agreed, I purchase 1-2 good games a year, and they are normally a few years old, and include all of the expansion packs. For this I am willing to pay $20-30 per title. On a slightly chilly day in hell I will spend $40 on a game that I absolutely know that I am going to love (like Dragon Age Orgins+Awakening+expansions), but that is extremely rare. I have the money for games. But the idea of spending so much money on titles that are just knockoffs and rehashes is just dumb.

Oh, and one other thing: I love classic games! And do you know what I love best about classic games? I can pick them up and play them 10-20 years later on an emulator. Today's games will be tied to DRM that will either be so changed, or DRM management software that goes bankrupt and folds up, or tied to hardware that is impossible to come by, so that you can never play the game again... unless you purchase the new $20 remake of the game that has been upscaled/color enhanced/3dified for whatever the newest and latest platform is... but it simply will not be the same as what it was, even if the remake is somehow better, better is simply not the point.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
never in my life I am going to pay $60 again for a game. $20-30 is my max. *mostly $20

BF3 is my most expensive game. @ $45 I wont repeat my same mistakes again. This time I am going to pay $20 at most.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
It would have been nice if UT3 was a FUN multi-user experience... Too bad, excellent game engine, excellent art-work... stupid menu design and crappy maps.

If you EVER decide to try for UT4... include at least 100~125 different maps. Game styles:
DM, CTF (of course)
ONS (Because renaming it WAR was kind of dumb and added a bit of complexity that was never needed)
ASSAULT - because some of us WANT battles like that.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]But seriously, this can only be terrible for gamers everywhere. Here's a $60.00 game...which by the way isn't complete. You can buy these little packs that "enhance" the game (up to what it was supposed to be at release). In the end, the $60.00 game costs about $100.00. Ahhh, but see here's the thing. The sheeple (morons) keep perpetuating this model so it probably won't end. If all the gamers in the world refused to buy DLC's, we could easily put the publishers (and some of the haughty developers) in their place.[/citation]

it depends. some dlc is a complete ripoff, while some other dlc is basically an expansion pack.

this is how i draw the line with this kind of deal.

5$ = 2 hours of entertainment.

if the game can give me that, i don't feel screwed. and looking at some games, where i have spent 60$ for a 6 hour game, and others where i spent 3$ (later on almost 50$) for a game that gave me over 270 hours of fun (60 before i went into dlc) its hard to complain about dlc allot now. generally they get it and how it should be.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]So a game that took 10%, and I'm being generous, of the effort of a real game made a lot of profit?Shocking! /end sarcasm.[/citation]
A game that took 0.000000001% effort to make is even more popular than that: Angry Birds.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom].... so who here thinks smartphones may soon be on par with consoles in terms of power?[/citation]
na the power consumption in smart phones will hinder true power. But before windows and sony puts out the next gen it will be close, altho i really dont care im a pc only guy got nokia n8 for photos so all my gaming is in pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.