Guild Wars 2 Sells Over 3 Million, More Content to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
I haven't played it but I am so glad from them. I am tired of subs and F2P models. I hope the community continues to support them.

G

Still have problems with the engine with Kepler cards and still no promise on DX11 support. Until its fixed I wont be playing.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]thisisaname[/nom]Sorry is disappoint you Trialsking but it follows the F2P model.[/citation]
No, it certainly does not follow the F2P model. That comment proves you have never played GW.

GW2, like GW, is Buy to Play (B2P). No in game content, no armor, no weapons, nothing that affects gameplay is required to be bought from the cash store. You pay your money for the game and EVERYTHING is available through game play.

The only things that can be gotten from the cash store are cosmetic items. You can buy bag slots and extra bank tabs, but if you don't buy them, you still get 5 bag slots per character, the same number in WoW, so you are not gimped. Your bank is slightly larger then WoW's without purchasing additional bank tabs and comes with crafting material storage which WoW does not have. So absolutely nothing essential to gameplay is needed.

Perhaps before commenting on something you don't know about, you will research it first.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Sourdeez[/nom]Still have problems with the engine with Kepler cards and still no promise on DX11 support. Until its fixed I wont be playing.[/citation]
Actually drivers from nVidia were released a long time ago. Even without those new drivers the 600 series played GW2 great.

As for DX11 support, very few games right now require it nor do they need it. Something tells me there are other reasons you aren't playing because these certainly are not very good ones.

G

[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Actually drivers from nVidia were released a long time ago. Even without those new drivers the 600 series played GW2 great.As for DX11 support, very few games right now require it nor do they need it. Something tells me there are other reasons you aren't playing because these certainly are not very good ones.[/citation]

I also want to add that everything that is available in the cash store can be bought with in-game currency as well. You can trade gold acquired though game-play for gems(cash shop currency) and buy anything that is for sale. So buy the box to play, use real cash to buy cosmetic things from the store, use gold to buy things from the store, or don't buy anything. Either way it is not really giving you a game-play advantage.

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
[citation][nom]frank_drebin[/nom]what i don't understand is why do i have to buy a game and then also pay a monthly subscription? it should be one or the other[/citation]

What I don't understand is what does that have to do with GW2?

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]frank_drebin[/nom]what i don't understand is why do i have to buy a game and then also pay a monthly subscription? it should be one or the other[/citation]
Then perhaps GW2 is a game you would enjoy as you only have to buy the game and not pay a monthly sub to get a complete game.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]No, it certainly does not follow the F2P model. That comment proves you have never played GW.GW2, like GW, is Buy to Play (B2P). No in game content, no armor, no weapons, nothing that affects gameplay is required to be bought from the cash store. You pay your money for the game and EVERYTHING is available through game play.The only things that can be gotten from the cash store are cosmetic items. You can buy bag slots and extra bank tabs, but if you don't buy them, you still get 5 bag slots per character, the same number in WoW, so you are not gimped. Your bank is slightly larger then WoW's without purchasing additional bank tabs and comes with crafting material storage which WoW does not have. So absolutely nothing essential to gameplay is needed.Perhaps before commenting on something you don't know about, you will research it first.[/citation]

the game is a you buy it, you get everything
but look in the cash store...
cosmetic things, so far im level 25-30 and even though i have gone through 5 or 6 pieces of armor per slot... i still look the same as when i started. this is incentive to buy from the cash store, and that is a free to play model.

granted you never HAVE to buy anything, unlike everquest where you can only get to level 65 before it requires you to start paying...

but make NO MISTAKE, the game has a FREE TO PLAY MODEL, and in all honesty, its the best one of ANY i have played so far, barring planet side 2, but that still needs to go though some patches before i will comment on it.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the game is a you buy it, you get everythingbut look in the cash store...cosmetic things, so far im level 25-30 and even though i have gone through 5 or 6 pieces of armor per slot... i still look the same as when i started. this is incentive to buy from the cash store, and that is a free to play model. granted you never HAVE to buy anything, unlike everquest where you can only get to level 65 before it requires you to start paying...but make NO MISTAKE, the game has a FREE TO PLAY MODEL, and in all honesty, its the best one of ANY i have played so far, barring planet side 2, but that still needs to go though some patches before i will comment on it.[/citation]

The game supports micro-transactions but not a free to play model! Lord of the rings online supports a free to play model since it requires you to buy game content to fully experience the game, quest packs, expansions, mounts etc.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]The game supports micro-transactions but not a free to play model! Lord of the rings online supports a free to play model since it requires you to buy game content to fully experience the game, quest packs, expansions, mounts etc.[/citation]

apparently we have completely different ideas on what free to play means.

at least in an mmo sense, playing it without paying monthly, is free to play, whether you have to buy it or not up front is up to you.

the old republic, i believe that game allows you the full story of the game for free much like guild wars 2, and that is a free to play.

the cash shop, something in all f2p anything, is a free to play model.

holding things from the player, like comedic things only (there are a few action rpgs from korea like that) is a free to play model that promotes sales to look different.

not giving you every slot programmed into the game is again, a free to play model to promote the sale of those slots.

not giving you every slot available from the beginning when making characters, is another free to play model to get more money. everquest as an example, gave you 8 character slots from day 1, and later on gave you a few more by either being a premium soe member, or by buying more, that is not the same as having a higher cap from day 1 and not allowing you to have it till you pay more.

now, from my time in the game so far, their are items that i am damn sure i cant get through in game means outside of the first time you get them, like when you get drugs from a dealer, the first hit is free. so that again, promotes in game sales.

yes i know, there is a currency exchange, but you the gems come from you paying money, and if someone values a gem at 1 gold something, than thats up to them.

the game costs money to buy, that innitial purchase price is to cover development cost, its why the game has high production values, the cash shop is what keep the servers going.

the game is F2P, just because normally free to play means you have to buy content to get everything does not mean everything has to do that. if you want a better than free to play name, i have heard this kind called freemium

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]apparently we have completely different ideas on what free to play means. at least in an mmo sense, playing it without paying monthly, is free to play, whether you have to buy it or not up front is up to you. the old republic, i believe that game allows you the full story of the game for free much like guild wars 2, and that is a free to play. the cash shop, something in all f2p anything, is a free to play model. holding things from the player, like comedic things only (there are a few action rpgs from korea like that) is a free to play model that promotes sales to look different. not giving you every slot programmed into the game is again, a free to play model to promote the sale of those slots. not giving you every slot available from the beginning when making characters, is another free to play model to get more money. everquest as an example, gave you 8 character slots from day 1, and later on gave you a few more by either being a premium soe member, or by buying more, that is not the same as having a higher cap from day 1 and not allowing you to have it till you pay more. now, from my time in the game so far, their are items that i am damn sure i cant get through in game means outside of the first time you get them, like when you get drugs from a dealer, the first hit is free. so that again, promotes in game sales.yes i know, there is a currency exchange, but you the gems come from you paying money, and if someone values a gem at 1 gold something, than thats up to them.the game costs money to buy, that innitial purchase price is to cover development cost, its why the game has high production values, the cash shop is what keep the servers going. the game is F2P, just because normally free to play means you have to buy content to get everything does not mean everything has to do that. if you want a better than free to play name, i have heard this kind called freemium[/citation]

I also forgot to add to my post that Lord of the rings online is free to play since you do not need to pay anything to play it, you can download it for free legally. You must buy Guild Wars 2 to play it. I've seen the term Buy to play being thrown and its more accurate than free to play in Guild Wars 2 case. Your reasoning is ignoring the fact on what the word "free" is implying.

Guild Wars 2 = $57.09 on Amazon. That is not free to play.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]I also forgot to add to my post that Lord of the rings online is free to play since you do not need to pay anything to play it, you can download it for free legally. You must buy Guild Wars 2 to play it. I've seen the term Buy to play being thrown and its more accurate than free to play in Guild Wars 2 case. Your reasoning is ignoring the fact on what the word "free" is implying. Guild Wars 2 = $57.09 on Amazon. That is not free to play.[/citation]

loard of the rings is free in the same way that guild wars 2 would have been if they didnt charge up front.

if i remember right, you pay lord of the rings for zones. you are paying the development cost to make that game look good.

same with guild wars 2, you pay up front for the production values.

what part of the game is still free to play are you not getting.
the part where they have a free to play store in the game
the part where they have free to play models for character number, invintory, and bank
the part where they sell you more spaces
the part where they make custmoizeing your look in any significant way pay for items (note im still only 25-30, so i dont know if armor starts to vary later in the game significantly)

why are you stuck on "you pay 60$ for the game, not free to play" when look at every other aspect, its free to play, but you pay upfront for the production value...

i honestly wouldn't be surprised if they give you the town areas 1-15 for free at some point and sell other areas to you for a price, granted theres no incentive to do that right now, but i can see it happen.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the game is a you buy it, you get everythingbut look in the cash store...cosmetic things, so far im level 25-30 and even though i have gone through 5 or 6 pieces of armor per slot... i still look the same as when i started. this is incentive to buy from the cash store, and that is a free to play model. granted you never HAVE to buy anything, unlike everquest where you can only get to level 65 before it requires you to start paying...but make NO MISTAKE, the game has a FREE TO PLAY MODEL, and in all honesty, its the best one of ANY i have played so far, barring planet side 2, but that still needs to go though some patches before i will comment on it.[/citation]
Actually your example is poor. The armor that drops in game is much more varied. The only thing you can buy from the cash shop is cosmetic items such as town clothes, which you can not wear while in combat, or one skin per armor type that looks like an armor set of that armor type from GW1.

The fact is, there is a varied amount of armor available in game, and with transmute stones you get from in game you can make your armor look like any other armor set free, something you can not do in the most popular sub based game known as WoW.

As for a cash shop being a sign of a F2P game, sorry, not true at all. WoW has a cash shop and it has nothing but subscriptions. You can buy mounts, minipets and that sort of thing, but it's still a cash shop.

Also, the fact that bag slots and bank tabs are available for purchase does not mean they are needed. If GW2 only gave one or two bag slots per character for the purchase price, then you may have a point. But when the number of bag slots given for the purchase price of the game is equal to the number of the top, sub only based game, WoW, then that argument falls flat. In fact, the ablity to deposit crafting materials to your bank from anywhere actually decreases the incentive to buy these additional slots as it makes your bag space go further than it does in WoW which does not allow the deposit of anything in your inventory from anywhere in the world.

Drazek

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Alidan stop. you obviously haven't experienced Guild Wars and Arena.Net enough to give an authoritative answer on what Guild Wars 2 is.

Guild Wars 2 (just like GW1) is not "Free to play" it's your standard buy to play game with micro transactions.

let me give you a good example of what a "free to play" model game is: World of Tanks. - in WoT you can get everything in the game for free, however they have a "premium" subscription which you can pay for which doesn't give you an edge over the competition (WoT is not pay-to-win) but it does give you a significant amount more exp and money after each battle.

Guild Wars 2 does no such thing, there is no premium subscription, or any subscription of any kind, and you cannot advance faster or get an edge over the competition by paying money.

GW2 does not have a free-to-play store, does not have "free-to-play" models for character numbers, inventory and bank, does not have a "free-to-play" system for character look/customisation.

GW2 has a micro-transaction system that offers additional non-game breaking niceties.

And to debunk some of your claims, no GW2 will never lock you down to only being able to play in town areas 1-15 just to sell you other areas, that's what failed subscription MMOs that have been forced to go F-2-P have done. - Arena.net have stated that they will never do this.

Also you can get many different "looks" from GW2 by playing the game, every dungeon you do give you currency to spend on the dungeon armour/weapon vendors in lions arch. even the new fractals dungeons give you currency for a different type of gear. - doing your story line quests give you different looking gear. - and earning favor with your race's faction allows you to unlock different looking gear from the Tier 1/2/3 armour and weapons from your race's starter town vendors.

Arena.net follow your standard computer game business model, where you pay for a game and you get everything, then they release an expansion pack, you pay for the expansion pack and you get everything again. - this is the exact same model as your traditional single players games with expansions such as never winter nights for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.