Guitar Hero Reaching Critical Mass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voidrunner

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
While Activision’s golden egg may be losing its luster, Electronic Arts is in an even worse position. With sales of Mirror’s Edge and Need for Speed: Undercover not meeting expectations, many are expecting another round of layoffs from the gaming giant. THQ is also in dire straits, with its big fourth quarter title, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw, expected to post disappointing sales figures. In any event, it seems as though the gaming industry is temporarily trapped in the shadow of a global recession.
I totally disagree with the recession 'threats'
Mirror's Edge is short and somewhat repetitive, making it more of a rental choice than a purchasing choice
NFS:U is just plain bad
Make good games and people will buy them. Fallout 3 sold like hotcakes on all 3 platforms, despite the recession and piracy.
It's about time game companies should stop blaming everyone but themselves.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"and its hefty $189 price tag (which includes a microphone, guitar and basic drum kit) , is selling below its MSRP on eBay and similar sites. "

i doubt that's effecting the actual sales, there's also a guitar kit for those who can't afford the whole thing... but yeah with rockband, i'm some what not surprised... im pretty sure it has reached it's zenith, but only cause another franchise came up, but i doubt the sales will go down too much from now and next year's version

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Guitar Hero isn't really a very good game. It gets old really quickly. It was fun for a while, but people are getting bored with it and moving onto newer shinier games.

As for the rest of the games mentioned, the news seems to that crappy games sell crappy? Companies can't expect that just because a previous iteration of a game sold well that future version will too.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I love all the children give negative rep to people who dis GH. As they should, it's not a good game and this was bound to happen.

A game like GH gets boring, it has no story, nothing.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Or maybe it's because Harmonix (original developer of GH) is now developing Rock Band and EA/Neversoft just aren't keeping up with Harmonix.

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I don't really want to simulate a real guitar anyways. Guitars are really complicated. How about they make a really simple guitar simulation game, such as you play a guitar with only one string and five frets? I would play that.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]voidrunner[/nom]Fallout 3 sold like hotcakes on all 3 platforms, despite the recession and piracy.It's about time game companies should stop blaming everyone but themselves.[/citation]

Exactly, and Fallout 3 was good at best. Think what would have happened if it was great.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I figured buying expensive plastic instruments with every new game would get old eventually.

Now, bringing the game to arcades, that's the perfect place for such a game. I really enjoy playing GH4:World Tour and rock band at my local best buy every time I'm there.
I pick up the guitar or sit down to play the drums along with a buddy playing another instrument thinking we'll just play one song and well... that quick trip to BB for a $10 item turns into a one hour gaming session. Or until the employees decide to kick us out. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.