Gundam Creator: Games Evil, Killing Planet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
What about the carbon footprint of Gundam... a 30 year old Anime (both good and bad)... lets see:
Electricity to sit, waste time and watch Gundam on a 32" Tube TV or 42" plasma, etc... besides the countless VHS, DVD and laser discs.

The pollution from the millions of toys, models, dolls, figures, posters, comic books, VIDEO GAMES, clothes, condoms, food.

The power and fuel used by people to go watch these shows in theaters or buy the media to watch his creation.

Whatever.

davisorle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Well to be honest we shouldnt care maybe since according to the Maya and Nostradamous etc we will all die on the planet from catastrophic event(s) in 2012 so kill online all you can, Respawn as many times as you can, Smoke all you can cause you wont have timje to die out of even lung cancer according to that ( no offence and my apologies to those with cancer.. ).

In all seriousness, there is WAY too many things we do and ignore daily that are TOO obviously f**king up our planet. Evil and war=games cant be in the danger list the slightest if you ask me.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]VioMeTriX[/nom]your opinion and competition are fine, but telling everyone their lives suck is just wrong[/citation] Agreed. But for future reference, it was meant to prove a point. Stop bashing the guy, you don't know him. I just get pissed off seeing spontaneous ranting. Sorry for that, I know exactly what I am guilty of when I jot down what I think. Trust me. If I came across the wrong way, you will just have to forgive me.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]We know that he created Mobile Suit: Gundam, and that he's criticizing gaming for being unproductive and causing pollution. That's all we need to know. He's a hypocrite and we're calling him out on it.Productivity: Is Gundam productive? The only way you could say that is to argue that it teaches morals, but so do most games. You simply can't condone one and criticize the other.Pollution: All the gundam TV shows were just that: TV shows. TVs use electricity. Electricity? Pollution! The ink to draw the animation? Pollution! The electronics used to record the drawings? More electricity! More pollution!And you know what? If we weren't spending our money on games, we'd be spending it to go places to pass the time. What'd we use? Cars. Which run on gasoline. Did you know that causes pollution?If you want to criticize gamers go ahead, but at least have a logical basis, and make sure you're not doing the same thing before you get on your high horse.Your comments? You don't have a basis. You say our lives suck. How? Do you have any evidence? More importantly, what makes one life suck more than another? Health and Happiness? You can be a gamer with a healthy lifestyle. And if gaming makes me happy, who the hell are you to tell me I shouldn't do it?You seem to agree with him, but you're on a computer using electricity. You're polluting while doing nothing productive by telling random people that their lives suck. You want to criticize us gamers? Fine. But look in the mirror before you speak.[/citation]Man! Do you honestly think I do not know about all the other factors here!? SERIOUSLY, cmon. Everyone has great points here but the reality of it is no one actually gives a shit. I love games but I also bust my ASS everyday of the week to afford the place I live in and use my bad ass computer, not only for gaming I might add. But then why is it I support this guy? I love my computer but he has a damn point. Just take a look around you and take a step back for just a couple minutes a day. Sorry for pissin you off! Seriously! But, take it for what its worth.

xeensd

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I am really confused... as the earlier poster stated "cartoons = games", but in my opinion games > cartoons because they actually involve some skill, and have been proven to increase hand eye coordination.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]xeensd[/nom]I am really confused... as the earlier poster stated "cartoons = games", but in my opinion games > cartoons because they actually involve some skill, and have been proven to increase hand eye coordination.[/citation]

i so agree.... his cartoons had us sitting on our asses doing absolutely nothing...being vegetables wasting electricity....at least gaming we can interact, and we think

mlopinto2k1: My hero! Rofl. People get defensive, even if they just bashed some other poor fool. I'd get used to the lack of respect here on Toms. You should see the hate when I defend apple.

As for the gundam guy: He has a point, he just didn't set it on the table in the right way. I am saying nothing on the power issue, but, people could spend their free time furthering their knowledge. We all know this. However, most of us would rather relax than to better ourselves. Also: did you really expect him to bash his own creation?

G

I'm not sure what his point was by making that statement (re: games & their enviromental effect) then going on to say that game designers are too dependant on the software they use and prevented from being innovative because of that. But to answer that, I would say that there are alot of things people do that are more harmful on the enviroment than gamers. On the whole I'd saying people who play and watch sports whether live or via television cause more harm (Its probably impossible for anything to exist on the earth without causing direct or indirect harm to another life form in one way or another) to the enviroment than gamers.

I do kinda agree on his stance about gamedom being stuck in a rut. How many more FPS's do we need about aliens, zombies, mutant freaks and characters running around causing mayhem in a fully 3D enviroment? Its all mostly juvenille and I think there's plenty of room for advancement towards developing a more adult and interactive/educational/thought-provoking take on games for us aging original electronic gamers who don't 'twitch' as well as they used to. :)

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Any form of recreation is "killing the planet. " Driving to the beach is bad with zero productivity. I wish these greenie wackos would just leave us the h*ll alone. 15 years ago, they were worried about the ozone layer. 20 years ago, they were worried about the planet cooling. It never ends with these people. They'd support a one-child-per-family rule I'll bet.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
@mlopinto2k1
I'm with you, dude. But I don't think our lives necessarily suck. Rather, we're bored. With time, new technology and media surface to replace the "old-hat" stuff. Remember the golden age of television? That replaced the golden age of radio, because it was new and much more interesting than the good-ole radio. Gaming is a similar step, adding an interactive component. People do waste time with gaming, just like they did with TV and radio. I believe they live thier lives as well. Peace.

taiso

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
i agree with the fact that people really do spend too much time and money on games. and that the quality of said games should be improved if you're gonna spend so much time on them, and that you should get something positive out of games. i like gundam. but seriously what is he onto? he made a point of two but the rest is all fail. i sell consoles and games for a living but you know what...all other departments in our store make much more money than us. so i guess tv, screens, blu ray players and all other forms of media are evil? you could argue that most tv shows ARE s*** and a waste of time, but not all. and to be honest gaming got me into computers, and building my own systems, and eventually i got into information systems security. so of course there is plenty of kids like the overly-obsessed mmo crowd who still lives in their mothers' basements that are a waste of space. or the GTA-gangtas who want to join gangs after playing a little too much, or watching too much scarface. its human nature, some make it some don't. some people actually make something positive out of it like the many developers, companies in the computer hardware segment, graphic designers, etc. bottom line, his speech was off-target and very badly worded.

G

Just play with all the lights turned off. That way you offset the electricity used by your game system.

Status
Not open for further replies.