Guns 'N Roses Sueing Activision for $20M

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Axel would have been a legend if he would have died from an overdose back when people listened to Guns and Roses. This is what happens when legends don't die in their prime....people realize they are just money grubbing drug addicts.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Axel would have been a legend if he would have died from an overdose back when people listened to Guns and Roses. This is what happens when legends don't die in their prime....people realize they are just money grubbing drug addicts.[/citation]
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Axel would have been a legend if he would have died from an overdose back when people listened to Guns and Roses. This is what happens when legends don't die in their prime....people realize they are just money grubbing drug addicts.[/citation]
LOL this is true!
Today Kurt Cobain is a legend. (But only because his death came at a perfect time in his career)

No disrespect...
R.I.P. Kurt

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I hope Axle gets every dollar and more, Activision/Blizzard deserve it! Clearly Bliz knows they can use a slash “look-a-like” and call him Slosh and gain publicity, legally... Add a couple Gn'R songs and clean house.

I think it is very possible that Slash and Axle have an agreement that Gn’R does not profit any further from the likeness of Slash. They went their own ways axle has the band name and slash has the band . (Velvet revolver = the real Gn’R minus Axle)(BTW: Velvet Revolver is kinda done too…for the moment). I have no idea… I’m just guessing… but it makes sense, the band “divorced” everyone got their entitlement, slash as well as Axle was very much the face of Gn’R. (or Hair)

G

I am actualy pretty sure that Slash got payed to be a part of GH3 so I have a hard time to understand how Axle could sue Activision for that.

//Robjoh

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
So they get Slash to write and play a song for GH3 (If I remember correctly, in game, you can unlock video footage of him doing this) yet they can still not create an animated version of him, or a look-a-like of him (whatever we all know its the same thing) playing the song that he made for this game??? How tight in money does a celebrity have to be to even bother with this sort of thing, especially when its not even slash whos sueing Activision

dedhorse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Read the original article on Reuters. The contract is only for the use of Welcome to the Jungle on GH3. Axl's claim is that he only signed that contract after a verbal agreement from Activision that they wouldn't mention Slash or Velvet Revolver or make references to them with respect to Guns N' Roses or Welcome to the Jungle in the game. When Axl found out they lied to him and actually included Slash in the game, he tried to rescind his permission for the use of Welcome to the Jungle. Again, they lied to him, saying Slash was only being used in a demo.

What it all boils down to is contractually, Axl gave his permission. However, he is suing for damages as a result of Activision breaking their verbal agreement and acting in bad faith.

Plus he's still pissed at Slash. Velvet Revolver has a fair bit of success and critical attention, while Chinese Democracy was a long running joke before disappearing shortly after release. Jealous much.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]he died about same time as Metallica, U2, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones and few others stopped caring about the fans, disregarded digital age, and became license sellout....[/citation]
Wow, what a PERFECT statement!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Of course... this should always be an awkward situation when a game copy PIRATES a person image and breaks a contract deal with another. Then the want to load their software with root-kits / secureROM and whine about pirates.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]stopped caring about the fans?The band had it's time two decades ago ... anyone who continues to be a fan of a musical group that long needs live.[/citation]

Assuming you meant "needs a life". I kind of giggled since this is coming from a guy named "pinkfloydminnesota".

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Axl would make a hell of a lot more than $20 million if he just did that and reunited with the former band mates. Axl and Slash just need to Get in the Ring, settle their differences and reunite. Enough, already. Axl needs to grow up! HE is the one keeping the feud alive. Slash stopped caring LONG ago.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]GoldenI[/nom]If that's the case then why isn't KISS suing them?[/citation]
Because that's Gene Simmons in the pic. He's still in the band. It isn't Peter Criss or Ace Frehley.

Also, the article should read Axl Rose Sueing Activision for $20M. James Hetfield of Metallica said it best: "I don't know how much Guns or Roses there is in any of that."

Status
Not open for further replies.