Hackers Could Trigger Your Printer to Overheat (or Worse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

No customer has reported unauthorized access. Speculation regarding
potential for devices to catch fire due to a firmware change is false.

As if they'd recognize a hack versus hardware just failing...

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
My printer is always off. Saves power. Oh, yeah...and a hacker would be much better off faxing black paper to you. Ink is expensive a hell!

G

It's called Toner Bombing. People find internet connected printers (or a printer within the network) and they send a massive amount of prints in full page, pure black.

University of Waterloo had it happen on campus just a while back.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I don't know if this will ever be released, but I want a copy of this exploitative program.
Not to hack printers (though that would be good for a laugh), but for personal use.

Why? Because then I can buy one of these printers, flash it and urn it into an all-in-one "internet device". Then make the firmware available to others so they can do the same.

Printer, routing device, firewall, automatic downloader (though you'd also have to have a NAS device to save those files to), wireless AP (some printers have wireless NICs), scanner/copier (some, not all)- all available from any device you can think of, anywhere in the world.

I mean- you have to buy these devices separately.
Why not just make them into separate modules and sell that as the definitive Internet device?

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Could a hacker also...say get control of ur CPU frequency control? And maybe overclock your ur cpu/gpu so high that it burns out?

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
@guru_urug

That attack concept is already 5 years old. And to burn stuff up you need to modify voltages, not frequencies.

By the way- they had a virus that deleted the BIOS of a machine in 1998.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
So then.. They won't be changing my current printers "functionality" by much then will they..
InkJet ftw.. Unless they send me a rainbow coloured page, this ink is expensive as hell..

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
seemingly lame research...anyway this is what i found interesting in the article:

1) HP promptly responded to the findings, acknowledging problems and at the same time said "hey, your research is crap" where it was deserved.
2)
In some Linux or Mac environments, it may be possible for a specially formatted corrupt print job to trigger a firmware upgrade.
weren't those claimed to be "safer" than windows? lol.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]What sort of hacker would actually do it?[/citation]
No one, because they can't really. (see HP's reply)

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]@guru_urugThat attack concept is already 5 years old. And to burn stuff up you need to modify voltages, not frequencies.By the way- they had a virus that deleted the BIOS of a machine in 1998.[/citation]
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]I don't know if this will ever be released, but I want a copy of this exploitative program.Not to hack printers (though that would be good for a laugh), but for personal use.Why? Because then I can buy one of these printers, flash it and urn it into an all-in-one "internet device". Then make the firmware available to others so they can do the same.Printer, routing device, firewall, automatic downloader (though you'd also have to have a NAS device to save those files to), wireless AP (some printers have wireless NICs), scanner/copier (some, not all)- all available from any device you can think of, anywhere in the world.I mean- you have to buy these devices separately. Why not just make them into separate modules and sell that as the definitive Internet device?[/citation]

LOL classic

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I'd be most worried about a hacked firmware that echoes print jobs over the network to anyone wanting to listen. I'm sure there are plenty of corporate/government documents that potential hackers would love to get their hands on.

Status
Not open for further replies.