Hackers, External IPs

Chickenistasty123

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
So some guy found out my externalip and he claimed he was a hacker. What should I do? I have decent security but I quite worried. Any thing I can do? I've alrwady got attempted DOS attacks on my in logs. (firewall setup) How can I tell if my device (tablets and phones not pcs) have rpotkits? I hope someone on theinternet can help me witn my problrm lol

Solution

Yeah, in this case I don't think you have anything to worry about. Never feel obligated to do >anything< someone tells you to do online. Silence/completely ignoring someone is the easiest way out of that situation. Just block them! If you ever feel threatened, either talk to someone you trust or even go to the police.

Just a friendly reminder: Due to the advent of social media, it is a lot easier to find out details about someone online. I suggest you never give away any personal details about yourself, where you live especially, or what you name is... Make sure your user name cannot be used to guess any personal...

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

If some guy found your WAN IP and claimed to be a hacker, I wouldn't worry too much. Any kid nowadays can download LOIC and try to "DoS" someone. You should reverse lookup the origin of the DoS attack in your logs, see if it is from a single address from a known ISP, and report that IP to the authorities (or at least reverse look it up, trace it, and just scare him by saying you are reporting his IP).

Unless you are running a real network with services that may be vulnerable, keeping your router up-to-date to prevent any known exploits should keep your relatively safe. Windows updates should be run too to prevent any well-known exploits from getting you.

Root kit wise, unless you download a bunch of random stuff from the net, you shouldn't have any root kits (except maybe Hackshield or other cheat-protection root-kits that games force you to install.) You can download an anti-virus to check for well-known root kits or root-kit-like behavior if you want. If you phones/tablets are android you can do some investigating, but iOS is pretty locked down from a user's perspective.

Chickenistasty123

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks :D, Im still being worried just in case, the hacker showed a pic of him/her "hacking" or something lol. Luckily Im on IOS, I am being more smarter with the things I leave on the internet. But is it possible for my external ip address can be enough info for someone to put a rootkit on my pc?

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Most likely, no, if you keep your system up to date.

Hackers need an attack vector -- a vulnerable service running on your computer for example. Every one in awhile there is a huge vulnerability found that is published, and script kiddies can exploit.. Real hackers who have found exploits they don't publish aren't going to threaten you with it, they are going to use it for more.. interesting... purposes.

At most he probably downloaded some scripts from a website and plugged in your information if he had your IP. As long as you are up-to-date, all of the well-known, well-published exploits found in those tools will likely have been fixed for a long time.

If you have a router with packet filtering/NAT -- then it is even a safer bet you are fine, since a lot of the traffic on vulnerable service ports are limited to your LAN... so thats an extra level of "security".

USAFRet

Illustrious

What do you mean by "I did what he wanted" ?
What specifically did he ask, and what did you do?

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Yeah, in this case I don't think you have anything to worry about. Never feel obligated to do >anything< someone tells you to do online. Silence/completely ignoring someone is the easiest way out of that situation. Just block them! If you ever feel threatened, either talk to someone you trust or even go to the police.

Just a friendly reminder: Due to the advent of social media, it is a lot easier to find out details about someone online. I suggest you never give away any personal details about yourself, where you live especially, or what you name is... Make sure your user name cannot be used to guess any personal information, and you don't have any open profiles online. Also, make sure to keep your usernames significantly different between services you use, since people can correlate user activity just from similar usernames (i.e. I can guess you play with 2 friends online on robolox.)

Anyways, good luck, and have fun!

Solution

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Easy solution to all of this... USE A VPN. Done. If you're using a quality VPN service, then your IP isn't vulnerable, and all traffic is relayed through your VPN provider, which means your IP address is only used on their servers to redirect traffic to you. Get one that doesn't keep logs, if you prefer, and you'll be fine. Not to mention, VPNs are stupid cheap to ignore consideration. You can get one for less than $40/year now, with zero data retention on their servers, and very good encryption protocols.

Chickenistasty123

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
Ew robolox lol, thanks, he did confess about threatening me for it but I'll keep my eyes on the stuff I share. Yeah I'm not those stupid kids who put their full names on Instagram lmao or something like that. Also I tried a VPN but it was a free one so it would disconnect a lot lol. Plus VPNs just mask your ip so the user would still know it and do whatever to it. But you know, I haven't had any unusual actions happen yet but I'll stop being super focused checking for answers on this web lol. Thanks guys, it's just the first time for me to ever get threatened and stuff, I'm not so knowledgeable about this kind of stuff too.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Actually, they reroute your internet traffic, so it does more than "mask" your IP address... it's just a selling point to "mask" the IP address. While it is true that your IP address is still used, it takes it out of your daily internet connecting, so those who are looking for it have to jump through more hoops. Not getting a VPN because one person has your IP address is a bad reason to not use one. Also, most free VPNs are crap, have security loopholes, and minimal bandwidth. Using a free VPN is no better than using a proxy... unless you can find a quality one. It's rare to find free accounts for quality VPNs, but I have one. Just keep your eyes open, or pay the $4/month if you want to keep your IP address properly concealed to avoid more problems.