Hacking an Electronic Highway Sign is Way Too Easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
The combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life. That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

reactive

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
The signs here in the UK are usually so ridiculous that they deserve to be hacked, just to amuse drivers. "FOG" they say when it's mildly foggy; "POOR DRIVING CONDITIONS" when it's raining; or "LOW SUN" when the sun is in your face and you can hardly read the sign anyway. And in Wales (stuck on the left side of England), every other sign on the M4 is in the Welsh language... which about 5% of the local population could actually understand or care to read... so making half the signs *totally* meaningless to about 97% of the road users (including foreign drivers)! How's that for stupid?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I worked for a different company that made similar signs. Their security wasn't much better. These signs are generally custom-made for government contracts. The requirements often mandate ridiculous things because some bureaucrat though it made themselves look knowledgeable, while ignoring really critical aspects like safety and security. Some requirements are made specifically to fit one vendor's existing product line to help them underbid competitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.