Hands-on With the Tegra 2-powered Dell Streak 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I just ordered the Toshiba AC100, it's similar to this in spec's except it's running android 2.1, doesn't have a touch screen (it's a netbook with Tegra 2), and doesn't have google app store.

Why do they always remove the app store.. i wish i waited for this instead.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
That was a crappy demo video. Flipping through the apps, and opening and closing one app without actually using it does nothing to demonstrate how capable the tablet is. What's wrong? Too afraid to actually test it publicly?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
would rather have a custom version of 3.0 or the streak 5 with 2.2. They brought the mini 5 to the market with 1.6 and still haven't got a working update to 2.1 Like Sony I don't trust Dell to roll updates timely or effectively.

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Android is one big fail with this fragmented OS and billions of different tablets.[/citation]

That's what Android is all about.

G

The Toshiba AC100 is a piece of cr@p. send it back pronto, you will massively regret it otherwise.

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]That was a crappy demo video. Flipping through the apps, and opening and closing one app without actually using it does nothing to demonstrate how capable the tablet is. What's wrong? Too afraid to actually test it publicly?[/citation]
It was just a short look at the Stage launcher UI. Otherwise, it's just Android 2.2 like millions of other phones. You don't need yet another video to show you what Froyo is all about.

BigJMoney

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hah. I was going to put down any amount of money for this until they said "no phone". Why can't any tech company make what I want?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Android is one big fail with this fragmented OS and billions of different tablets.[/citation]
LOL, I hope this is flame bait, but I'm taking it anyway. Sounds like someone is a little too scared to think for themselves. Let someone else make the decisions eh? Just tell you how much the check needs to be for? Companies just love consumers like you. Are you a solid Mac guy, or are you a hypocrite who uses Windows (or worse, Linux) on their computer (be it a PC or a Mac) because you need access to the wonderful software and/or hardware that other OSes support?

I remember in high school there was a year-book quote that read "I hate people who mix brands, when I wear Tommy, it's only Tommy." Some people need to realize they are holding allegiance to a faceless corporation that wants nothing but their money. Some people are loyal to the strangest things these days.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]regimbaa[/nom]To : chronicbint : You just don't get it ! Android = freedom of choice Apple = castration , Communist[/citation]

Yeah? Freedom of choice? Sort of like how I had to root my Droid X to get rid of these crappy Verizon apps like CityID and VCast? How exactly is that different from my previous phone, iPhone 3GS, where I had to jailbreak the device to get rid of standard apps I didn't want and increase functionality?

Having owned both mobile OS's I can say with certainty that this notion is pure rubbish. You might get more "control" out of the box but to make your phone do what you really want it to do you have to root or jailbreak it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The Dell UI sucks and the way they handle page swipes makes the OS seem sluggish. For the love of god make the tabs active and scroll with your finger. When you wait to fire the animation event until after the finger gesture is completed it makes everything feel sluggish. This kind of crap is why people prefer the iPhone UI. Apple doesn't make dumb UI mistakes like that.

normano

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Yeah? Freedom of choice? Sort of like how I had to root my Droid X to get rid of these crappy Verizon apps like CityID and VCast? How exactly is that different from my previous phone, iPhone 3GS, where I had to jailbreak the device to get rid of standard apps I didn't want and increase functionality?Having owned both mobile OS's I can say with certainty that this notion is pure rubbish. You might get more "control" out of the box but to make your phone do what you really want it to do you have to root or jailbreak it.[/citation]

but that is not the fault of the OS that is the fault of the provider

Android is far from perfect - but I would sooner go back to my Nokia P1 than have any kind of iPhone tosh as a mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.