Hands-on with the Windows 8.1 9369 Leak

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
OK, Windows 8.1 looks SHITTY, just like that bullcrap, so-called "OS", Windows h8.
No start button - NO I DO NOT WANT 3rd PARTY SOFTWARE FOR THAT.
FUCKED UP INTERFACE DESIGN
NO STYLE AT ALL!

TRUST ME, we could all "design" that interface in Microsoft Paint right on Windows 98.
This is a disaster, but Windows 7 will be here until 2020. Then, there will be a mass of people migrating to other operating systems. Microshit is a joke together with Steve Ballshit.
Until we don't get a SERIOUS operating system, we're surely be reluctant to Paint-made so-called "Operating Systems". I don't give a shit about the tweaks under the hood.
They say : " Windows 8 works perfectly fine."
Well, I say: "Windows 7 works perfectly fine AND it all looks A TON BETTER".
Who the hell would want to downgrade to Windows h8, then?

I deal with a lot of computers and I ALWAYS recommend 7 over h8. I do my best to prevent people from having such dumb headaches with Windows h8.

Serious people use serious operating systems, not Ballshit jokes.
Once Microshit drops supports for Windows 7, we'll have to look for other operating systems.

Maybe a touchscreen display would change the experience a bit, but the INTERFACE couldn't look any more AWFUL! AWFUL! AWFUL!

(yes, I am (actually used to be, given how many shitty products they make now) a Microsoft fan)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Are you using a Touch Screen?
Yes - Experience the new Windows 8 User Interface.

No - Restore the Windows 7 Desktop Experience.

"Customize" - For Advanced Users whom wish to take advantage of both Windows 8 UI and Classic Windows features

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
No, it's not hard for Microsoft to do or to figure out. The reason there is no boot to Desktop or Start Button is because Microsoft can't force Metro onto everybody if they give the user the option. THAT is why they don't, not because they're stupid.

This, however, is a major factor in nobody upgrading so MS may have to swallow their pride and backtrack in order to get desktop acceptance.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]3ogdy[/nom]OK, Windows 8.1 looks SHITTY, just like that bullcrap, so-called "OS", Windows h8.No start button - NO I DO NOT WANT 3rd PARTY SOFTWARE FOR THAT.FUCKED UP INTERFACE DESIGNNO STYLE AT ALL!TRUST ME, we could all "design" that interface in Microsoft Paint right on Windows 98.This is a disaster, but Windows 7 will be here until 2020. Then, there will be a mass of people migrating to other operating systems. Microshit is a joke together with Steve Ballshit.Until we don't get a SERIOUS operating system, we're surely be reluctant to Paint-made so-called "Operating Systems". I don't give a shit about the tweaks under the hood. They say : " Windows 8 works perfectly fine."Well, I say: "Windows 7 works perfectly fine AND it all looks A TON BETTER".Who the hell would want to downgrade to Windows h8, then?I deal with a lot of computers and I ALWAYS recommend 7 over h8. I do my best to prevent people from having such dumb headaches with Windows h8.Serious people use serious operating systems, not Ballshit jokes.Once Microshit drops supports for Windows 7, we'll have to look for other operating systems.Maybe a touchscreen display would change the experience a bit, but the INTERFACE couldn't look any more AWFUL! AWFUL! AWFUL!(yes, I am (actually used to be, given how many shitty products they make now) a Microsoft fan)[/citation]

This is the most useless post I have seen for a while. You do realize that the main difference between 7 and 8 are the Start Screen and menu, right? Other than that 8 is 7 with tweaks and enhancements such as a much better file transfer system (able to do multiple file transfers using the same window and pause/resume functionality along with more consistent transfer speeds), majorly improved Task Manager and overall faster boot up times.

The people who miss the Start Menu are interesting as I don't know many who actually use it as much as people claim they do.

Still the option would be nice for DT users but the Start Screen is not bad. People just do not like to change or adapt to new ideas or methods.

XP was the same way. XP was a big change in the GUI and how things works and for a while (until SP2 at least) and people clung to 98/2K. It will always be like this but MS has to move forward and so far 8 has proven to me to be a good OS.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I think the best thing Microsoft could have done is name this OS, Windows Mobile and not have an 8 that suggests it's a successor to 7. This should have been an OS that lived along side 7, not replace it. In that case, it would have been used on mobile devices and I believe had much better reception. I have 8 on my Surface Pro and on my HTPC. On a touch device, I think it is absolutely great. Used with a mouse/keyboard, I don't like it one bit. In the case of my HTPC, on one hand I think it is easier to navigate large easy to hit tiles using my HTPC keyboard while sitting in a recliner/couch. Also, with that pc I'm only looking for XBMC or some very light surfing. In that limited case, the start screen is really kind of nice. Now on a desktop, there is no way I'll make the jump. My workstation tower and laptop will remain on 7 as I don't think 8 offers anything at all (except some frustration) compelling to make me switch. I feel navigation and multitasking are clunky and inefficient. I have learned my way around the changes pretty well from using the Surface quite a bit, but on a desktop I do not like "hovering" with the mouse pointer, nor do I like scrolling a slide bar left/right. The OS is very intuitive with a touch screen, and I wish people would/could try it more than sitting in Best Buy for 10 minutes on a demo unit.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well there are good uogrades in here! The ReFS while new is good to get and really gives Windows blue some edge. It takes some time untill it will be more popular than really old NTFS. If this is really more reliable it is fine job.
Those who are hoping for MS to turn back to old win7 style descktop are maybe forsed to wait guite a long time... Those mobile devices are so much more popular, that until MS will have good deal on that market, it will consentrate most efford to that segment.
If they continue to make Modern UI more easily to use with mouse, they are slowly gaining more users. When win7 is at the end of its support period there is not going to be back to that direction. The only thing that would change that would be massive Linux movement, but so far there has not been any signs that Linux would be even near windows in user amount. But who knows what happens in next 7 years that win7 is still going strong!
Good upgrades in here, maybe good Steam Linux support and we will have really good competition in OS front someday!

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Microsoft could win back a little support if they distributed this as a Service Pack for Windows 8 instead of a stand alone OS.

Windows 8 has been a PR nightmare from the looks of things and MS showing that they are trying to make things right, might be to their benefit.

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]john412smith[/nom]I forsee Stardock's Start8 becoming the most pirated software by the end of the year...[/citation]

Why is that? IF i were to upgrade to windows 8, I certainly wouln't mind supporting whoever makes the best replacment startmenu program to make it usable. Though i have no plans to upgrade to windows 8, or 8.1, or anything until they pull their heads out of their ass.

I do NOT want metro on a desktop. Its pretty cool on tablets, absolute crap on my desktop.

Metro apps suck on desktops. I have a 23" monitor, not a monster by any means, but large enough that i dont need every app assuming i want it to be full screen. Metro apps are all full screen. Sorry app "snapping" isn't flexible enough and limits to two apps split vertically. "windows" allow me to resize however i want. Why is this not a more loudly complained about issue?

App switching. when using metro, a PC basically acts like an iphone. one app at a time, swipe to change. Or do some nonsense hot corner menu thing on a desktop since you can't "swipe" to change apps.

I will NOT "upgrade" to a dumbed down OS that resembles a smartphone more than a PC operating system. Even Apple in their arrogance hasn't tried to turn OSX into iOS....yet... Though i give Apple enough credit to not try to copy microsoft's one size fits all OS plan.

Brandon Little

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Here is how you fix it Microsoft if the main display output is a touch based display keep Metro UI, if not, return the start menu and give a easy button at the top of the start menu to transform between UIs

grumpigeek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Us customers who use desktop PCs and laptops also want clear, readable text.

IE10 and Office 2013 are unusable on Windows 8 because the blurry text is an eye-sight damaging nightmare.

We demand the option to use RGB sub-pixel font anti-aliasing in place of the dreadful grayscale font rendering introduced in Windows 8.

zenmonk9003

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Does nobody remember MS-DOS? Windows 8 is a beautiful OS and I love it. I use a my desktop and a mouse and have no problems.

rquick

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I've been using Windows 8 for almost a year now and I have never missed the Start button once - and it only takes one click to get to the desktop. I love it like it is and I am thankful that it sounds like they just are working on making it better, not trying to revert to Windows 7 for the people who refuse to move on. If you don't like it, just stay with Win7. I don't see the point of making Windows 8 work just like Windows 7 when Windows 8 is better. Maybe if you stopped wasting your time whining over what you don't have and focus on learning to use what you do have, you might just get over it. You absolutely do not need a touch screen to make it work, you just need to take 10 minutes to learn how to use it.

eijiyuki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
[citation][nom]farensabri[/nom]you can actually have 'windows explorer menu' if you enable desktop shortcut on the taskbar.Right-click on the taskbar. Toolbars > Desktop (tick)Then you can re-arrange the position to the most left to replicate Start Menu.[/citation]

Actually the ppl who aren't buying Windows 8 are not buying computers period. Which explains the huge drop in PC sales since Win 8 came out.

Princyxavier

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I Guess windows is trying to correct all its flaws made in windows 8 through its windows 8 next version.
<a href="http://www.contus.com/windows-application-development.php">windows mobile application development company</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.