AshtonSnell

Commendable
May 2, 2016
I have a laptop that is a few years old. About a week ago it was dropped and since I have been having problems with it. I'm almost positive it is the heard drive causing them. The computer will turn on but freezes at the starting windows screen. Sometimes it says can not find bootable device. The hard drive is also making a grinding noise. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite. It recognizes that there is a hard drive when I go to F2 but it won't read it I don't think. I have gone into F12 and attempted the <HDD RECOVERY> but at 25% it always experiences an error. I am prepared to buy a new hard drive as it only costs about $50 but will I have to buy a new Windows 7? It didn't come with a CD, it was pre-installed However there is a sticker on the bottom with a Product Code and other codes. Would it be possible to transfer it over or re-download it?

Thanks in advance.
-Ashton

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

Both of these are solid suggestions. You can use the Windows Media Creation Tool to download windows 10 and make a bootable USB or DVD.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

AshtonSnell

Commendable
May 2, 2016

And this is completely free?

Also, would you agree though that the problem is most likely the hard drive? I cant think of anything else it could be.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

1. Yes it's free (other than the cost of a new drive)
2. It's a safe bet that your drive is toast. There could be additional damage, but it's probably just your drive.