Hardware-Accelerated HTML5 Coming in IE9

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]That sounds great. I just hope MS is not going to modified the HTML5 to their own version like they did with Sun's Java. By the way... HTML5 vs Flash... which one you like it better?[/citation]
Like they did in IE6?

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@rhino13: browsers that implement 'video' tags already support GPU acceleration - it is not as complex to support than it is for Flash.

@razor512: there are no HTML5 widely known games yet, as the 'majority' browser didn't support HTML5 - but there already are HTML 5 games, and they'll only become more common.

Postprocessing on videos is possible in HTML 5, it's just not really done yet. Postprocessing of Flash video is difficult, as videos are in YUV format, but Flash can only process RGB video - so the applet needs to send the frame to be uncompressed to the card, have it processed, converted to RGB and then get it back and work from that. That's the reason, BTW, why Flash on Linux is unaccelerated: no free API provides that yet.

@Izzycraft: that's supposed to be your login password, right?

@Clintonio: XP users won't get it. So uptake will be slow.

What I don't like about this IE 9, is that there is STILL no support for DOM 2 events - a spec dating back to november 2000, implemented by all other browsers...

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah you can set a masterpassword in opera and FF but not in chrome or IE although IE is pretty dam secure on windows 7 a program that you didn't get though ie could easily just mine the reg data for your passwords. So an encryption based masterpassword that is entered during every time you use the password or more preferably when you first use it for the session that is my main complaint of IE as of late

I know IE9 so far is just a pretty much engine not really a browser but i hope they finally get that implemented.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
"this preview won't install on an operating system older than Windows Vista SP2"

Thank you Microsoft! I really appreciate that, considering the fact that my fully genuine SP1 machine flat out refuses to install SP2. ...wait, that isn't true. It DOES install it, wasting my time and taking control of my computer for several minutes to a half hour, and then once it is done installing, it reboots and says "installation failed; reverting changes." Great!

singingigo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Personally, I'm psyched! I have removed Firefox due to poor and slow page rendering and security bugs. Sure, IE has holes...but it renders correctly 99.5% of the time. I do use a second browser simultaneously though...Chrome! Did anyone else read the toms' test on browser performance? Firefox was a LONG way behind the Webkit crew & Opera. Until Gecko2 comes out, I'm no longer installing FF on my PCs.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I have just upgraded to Windows 7 64bit and have noticed that we get 2 versions of IE8, 1 32bit version and a 64bit version. As there is a lot of chat here about browsers maybe it is a good place to ask this question.

Can anyone explain what the differencec between these two versions are and if any differences have an effect on general use? Do 64bit browsers use the same flash and or HTML5 code?

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
@Schizofrog: there is no absolute difference between 32- and 64-bit browsers (apart from the inherent advantages 64-bit has over 32): HTML and Javascript are interpreted the same way.

However, several binary plugins need to be compiled the same way the browser is: for now, there is no 64-bit IE version of Flash. As far as I know, the only widespread 64-bit version of Flash is on Linux (where 64-bit browsers are common since 2005), although the Windows version may be coming soon. Ever since Java 6, the Java web plugin is also available in 64-bit. There are some corner cases where it doesn't work, but that this the exception.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
@mitch074: Thanks for the reply, things are as I thought. Surely the case of 64bit is more to do with the OS and doesn't effect the performance of the browser. I can understand the need for 64bit browsers if certain engines are written specifically or to take advantage of 64bit, but on the whole I think it is an area that has been left in the dark with little or no explanation which just adds to the confusion surrounding anything 64bit.

G

If it is a managed-code .NET application, with all the enhanced security and safety that will bring, along with
the ability to be 32-bit verses 64-bit agnostic, then great.

If not, then foobar. How many more years do we need to wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.