Question Has anyone tried doing this with their smart projectors?

Jul 13, 2024
I have seen many streamers use a 2nd monitor for streaming(especially gamers to look at live chat), and I was thinking of doing the same but I wanted something a little different.
Obviously, this is just personal preference and my situation may not apply to some of y'all here but if you're like me, you may have limited options for multiple monitors depending on some factors such as:

1. Whether you choose to have your desk facing against the wall
  2. The length of the tabletop against the wall
  3. Whether you choose to have other stuff on your table(such as stationaries, decors)
  4. Whether you choose to drill holes in your wall for a monitor stand

In my case, I need to have my desk against the wall and I prefer not to drill holes in my wall so my options were limited... until I came across this projector and I had an idea in mind: https://projectorbeamer.com/product...-throw-projector?_pos=2&_psq=ray&_ss=e&_v=1.0

I dropped them a call, wondering if they ship their orders overseas and they did so I pressed them on for further questions regarding the viability of using it for streaming and this is what they showed me:

As you can see, its shortest side is wide enough that it's stable enough to stand on its own without any supports, and with just a HDMI cable, they connected it to their laptop and used the projector as their 2nd monitor to view the live chat, without occupying any physical space on the wall. They did advise me further though that the air vents should not be obstructed as much as possible and if I do want to use it as shown in the second picture, I should get a shelf like this:

However, I want to know if there are any of you projector owners out there who have thought about this idea, let me know your opinions, thanks.

Not sure that this answers your question, but when I had one (Optoma HD20), I had always used my projector as a secondary display (the primary being my HDTV) when connected to my HTPC with a blu-ray drive installed.

Note that the given display specifications are VERY high for the given cost and I would doubt some of them (if not all). Looking on Projector Central's web site, the cheapest 1080P projector with at least 6000 lumens was almost 10 times the price of the projector you're looking at.

If the specs are not what they advertise, you will need to be able to control the ambient light in your room. I ended up using black-out curtains.
A small room will heat up significantly if the heat from the projector is not dissipated either outside or through the use of an air conditioner.
Unless you intend to project onto a white wall, you will need some type of screen to display/stream your images onto.

These are all added costs, but for me and my usage (Video/Live Sports), it was worth every penny.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: JayHo

TRENDING THREADS