Solved! Help with Built-In Home Speakers

Oct 12, 2021
Hello,

My brother recently bought a home with ceiling speakers on every level. Since he's very busy--and I like working with this stuff--I offered to help figure out how to connect them all so that he can play music throughout the house. Admittedly, I have very little experience with home audio setups like this, so I apologize for any dumb questions.

Just as a bit of background, the previous home owners had a professional install the system, so I assume that person knew what they were doing. However, the owners themselves had no idea how it all worked, so they couldn't advise us. Most of the other connections in the house (ex. home theater system) are labelled, so that might be helpful. Finally, I've uploaded some images to an Imgur album and included a link at the bottom of this post.

That out of the way, here are my questions:
  1. There's a wall connector on the main floor labelled "Source" (Image in album). Is it safe to assume that this is the source for the speaker system?
  2. If that is the source, is that where I'd plug in the amp? It doesn't seem like enough plugs for an amp, but again, I am sorely lacking in audio knowledge.
  3. There are a bunch of loose cables in the basement that run up to the rest of the house (Image in album). At first I assumed they were connected to the sound system (since they're labelled for different rooms), but since the cables are RG6 I'm guessing they aren't actually involved. Could these have anything to do with the speakers?
I searched the forums for similar situations and didn't see anything that answered my specific questions, but I apologize if I missed something. If I haven't provided enough information, just let me know and I'll try to address it.

Thanks for the help!

Imgur album

Solution
Yes the source outlet looks like RCA plugs for an input.

About the amp, well there is either something on the other side of those somewhere that goes to an amp and then to the speakers, or the speakers are wired to that and expect the output of the amp to go through that wall jack.

The coax cables in the basement are probably for the cable outlets which I am guessing are also placed around the house.

Really the only way to sort things out is to trace the wires from that wall jack and see where they go. Without a diagram and instructions for everything, it's all just guesses.
Yes the source outlet looks like RCA plugs for an input.

About the amp, well there is either something on the other side of those somewhere that goes to an amp and then to the speakers, or the speakers are wired to that and expect the output of the amp to go through that wall jack.

The coax cables in the basement are probably for the cable outlets which I am guessing are also placed around the house.

Really the only way to sort things out is to trace the wires from that wall jack and see where they go. Without a diagram and instructions for everything, it's all just guesses.

Solution