Having problems connecting my new tv to old surround sound

xyerwrstnitmarex

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
I just got a Samsung un46eh5000fxza and I am having problems getting the volume to come out of my old surround sound system. Especially since the cable box seems to make everything harder. The surround sound system I have is a Sony hcd-dx150. The surround sound does not have an hdmi input so I am trying to just use The rca and component cables. When I put in a DVD, the surround sound volume comes on but extremely extremely low, even on max volume which is usually ridiculously loud. Plus I lose the tv volume when I have a DVD in, I can put the tv volume on max and it doesn't change anything. What am I doing wrong? Please help!!

ChrisNY

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
Did you connect coaxial cables from the old receiver into the DVD player, then use the HDMI that is connected to your DVD player and run cable into the TV HDMI port?

xyerwrstnitmarex

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
Sorry I didn't mean to vote down, I was trying to reply. I'm not quite understanding what you are asking because I do not have a separate receiver and DVD player. They are the same thing. It's a surround sound receiver and DVD player in one, with no spot for an HDMI cable, only has spots for rca/av

xyerwrstnitmarex

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

Wait sorry by receiver did u mean the cable box or the DVD player

That Sony is just a DVD player with built-in amplifier. When you play a DVD, the audio is handled by Sony itself, doesn't go to the TV, the TV is not involved in the audio, so I have no idea why would it sound weak. Did this worked before with an older TV?

When watching TV, if you wish to use your surround speakers, then there must be an audio connection TV --> Sony or STB --> Sony, to the 2 RCA jacks labeled AUDIO IN I suppose and you are getting stereo only.

STB = cable box.

xyerwrstnitmarex

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

Yes it worked before with an older tv. I have audio plugged STB ---> Tv because TV has no audio out. And I have the red blue and green composite plugged from Sony --->TV. should I switch something up?

Seems like you are using your TV's built-in speakers as well as the speakers attached to the Sony. You have two volume controls (1)TV control its own speakers only. (2)Sony controls the speakers attached to it only.

When you play DVD, adjust the Sony's volume control.

When you watch TV, since STB --> TV and no audio connection TV --> Sony only TV speakers work.

xyerwrstnitmarex

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

Yea that is the problem. When I put a DVD in, the Sony volume can be on max volume and you can still barely hear it. The tv actually does have audio out but it's either one small black Jack or digital audio out and idk what wires I would need for those. And even if I got them, the sony volume is extremely low even when it's on max