Solved! Having trouble picking a new computer...

May 5, 2020
I am an audio producer and editor looking to start to edit video. I was going to download Davini Resolve but my lil mac, MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010), is not powerful enough to run the program. It's about time that I set-up a home studio, I mainly use my work studio's equipment to edit, and I'm a bit stuck on where to turn.

I've got a few options.
  1. Buy a new Mac
  2. Buy a new PC
  3. I could keep my current mac and buy an external GPU and external drive.

Here's some more info:

My budget is 1000, that's for everything: computer, monitor, mouse, yada yadda. I use Apple devices at home, phone and laptop, but I use PC at work so I'm familiar with both. But I do like the idea of having my home-work computer work compatibility with all my other devices. I will only be using this computer for work/editing purposes. I'm not a gamer.

Any ideas?

Solution
Your system is too old to match anything current even with an external video card (can it even run it properly?) and more storage. If you get another MAC or a PC is up to you with what programs you use and what you are used to using. You can get a faster PC for the same price as a MAC at any price point.

Seems your budget is 800 for the laptop since you count an extra monitor, what leaves you out of a new workstation laptop so you are looking at lower end gaming laptops. MSI MODERN 14 A10RAS is a good pick if available where you are, as are the Acer Nitro models, something like this MSI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TR7WRK9/?ref=r4m_udw_la_us_dd&th=1 also.
Your system is too old to match anything current even with an external video card (can it even run it properly?) and more storage. If you get another MAC or a PC is up to you with what programs you use and what you are used to using. You can get a faster PC for the same price as a MAC at any price point.

Seems your budget is 800 for the laptop since you count an extra monitor, what leaves you out of a new workstation laptop so you are looking at lower end gaming laptops. MSI MODERN 14 A10RAS is a good pick if available where you are, as are the Acer Nitro models, something like this MSI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TR7WRK9/?ref=r4m_udw_la_us_dd&th=1 also.

Solution