HD Camcorder Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

High Definition (HD) camcorders are all the rage right now. They are available based on a variety of recording media, including models that use memory cards, DVDs, hard disks, and now even Blu-ray.

HD Camcorder Roundup : Read more

MrFoo

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
Caveat emptor...

Be aware that there are some poorly-advertised issues with at least some of these cameras.

It is common practice for cameras with full 1920x1080 sensors to scale the images to 1440x1080 before compression.

Also, camcorders that record progressive frames at 24pf tend to store their data as if it were 60i (60 fields/sec, interlaced) by duplicating and reordering parts of the video data. Most applications (Ulead Video Studio, Sony Vegas, etc.) believe the video files when they say they're 60i, so they try to interpolate between shifted and reordered fields in a process called deinterlacing. This results in smoother images that are not as sharp as they could be and ghosting of fast-moving objects. Camcorders that record to 30pf or 30p should not have this problem.

Also, as mentioned in the article, it currently takes some special applications (like Video Studio or Vegas) and/or a bit of technical know-how to even be able to read the M2TS files many of these camcorders produce.

G

You need to update your info. SDHC costs about $70 for 16GB not 4

sydneyw

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
You talk as if greater depth of field is a good thing. Actually, most camcorders have too much depth of field, causing the desire object to be in focus, and the undesired object to also be in focus. Pro lenses have a much shorter depth of field allowing the subject to be in focus and the background to be less distracting and out of focus. I would give canon more points for the shallow depth of field.

HD Camcorders are in their infancy at the consumer level. Expect lots of changes quickly right now. Even Pro HD cameras are changing quickly right now.

mdrejhon

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Status
Not open for further replies.