Hdmi sound generation

Paul278mc

Estimable
Oct 22, 2015
Where does the sound get generated. By the motherboard sound bit or the sound card installed??? I can't find an aswer

Solution
This really depends on where you have it plugged in if it is plugged into the motherboard it is coming from whatever soundcard the motherboard has. If it is plugged into an older video card say 270 or 280 GTX there was a passthrough from a soundcard needed to add sound to the HDMI on the card. If you have a modern video card last 2 to 3 gen the video cards have sound cards built in (Weird I know but they do)... So If you are plugged into you video card and getting sound with no other connections you are using the sound card built into the video card both AMD and NVidia have this now.

Thent

thently

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
This really depends on where you have it plugged in if it is plugged into the motherboard it is coming from whatever soundcard the motherboard has. If it is plugged into an older video card say 270 or 280 GTX there was a passthrough from a soundcard needed to add sound to the HDMI on the card. If you have a modern video card last 2 to 3 gen the video cards have sound cards built in (Weird I know but they do)... So If you are plugged into you video card and getting sound with no other connections you are using the sound card built into the video card both AMD and NVidia have this now.

Thent

Solution