HDmobile Could be a New Standard to Connect Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

AAPL - ALWAYS on the cutting edge! Can't wait to wait in line to get my iPhone 5!

agure2018

Honorable
May 11, 2012
By offering a differentiated product that delivers the emerging needs of this market, we believe HDmobile is well positioned to be the solution of choice for the next-generation multimedia interface on mobile devices."
cpu.gif

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]what's wrong with what we have now?[/citation]

The fact that you have it. They're not getting paid if you just buy something and are happy with it. So they want you to buy something again and again.

G

The article gets one important point wrong. HDmobile is a great technology precisely because it is NOT a new standard. What is great about HDmobile is that it incorporates three very important standards in one. Imagine your smartphone having HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 and USB 3.0. You can plug into any of the 2 billion regular HDMI ports while charging your phone through the USB 3 connection. Have DisplayPort and not HDMI? That's OK too.

USB 3.0 is really nice as well.

G

What if you want to charge your phone while its delivering video to a non-HDMobile display?

G

There is no such thing as a HDmobile display or a non-HDmobile display. That is particular only to the MHL paradigm where you need an active cable if you have a non-MHL port.

You can charge your phone while streaming video using the USB 3.0 port.

G

The problem with MHL is that you can't use both the USB functions (using a USB OTG cable you can connect mice/keyboards/flash drives) and the HDMI functions. With Motorola phones you can do this (as it has two ports, HDMI and USB). So I can, instead of carrying around a big bulky laptop, have a superphone with mouse/keyboard/storage on an HDTV doing RDP to a Windows 7 VM with RemoteFX (so I can play Battlefield 3 on my phone).

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Face it, there will NEVER be a one port to rule them all, because most companies want proprietary ports, with cables you have to buy from them.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
[citation][nom]MegaMook[/nom]The problem with MHL is that you can't use both the USB functions (using a USB OTG cable you can connect mice/keyboards/flash drives) and the HDMI functions. With Motorola phones you can do this (as it has two ports, HDMI and USB). So I can, instead of carrying around a big bulky laptop, have a superphone with mouse/keyboard/storage on an HDTV doing RDP to a Windows 7 VM with RemoteFX (so I can play Battlefield 3 on my phone).[/citation]

Yeah, play BF3 on your phone...

Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.