Headphone audio static

Cassipen

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Hi, so today i decided to mess around with my pc, and oddly enough after I put it all back together I started hearing static noise in my headphones, especially when playing games. The static doesn't get louder when I turn the volume up, but it does whenever I switch my window to the game. I have my headphone plugged into the back of the case. I tried the front as well, its a little bit better but I can still hear it. I also tried it with my other pair of headphones and it can hear the static too.
I turned off all my fans and I can still hear it. I even plugged out my graphics card and its still there.
I updated all my drivers, windows updates, no change.

All I did before this was install a new ssd, vacuum out a bit of dust, took the cpu out and reapplied thermal paste, and did some cable management at the back. I have no idea what causing this now. My only theory is that I damaged my motherboard pins or something while cleaning. I'm a little lazy to take the cpu out again, and since im rarely clumsy I don't see this to be very plausible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Well, the only reasonable idea I can come up with is that you cable managed some power lines near the audio section of your motherboard and the flowing power is causing interference. So, if you are comfortable moving cables around while the system is on, try moving some, just the wires, don't disconnect anything, while listening to the static and see if it makes it any better or worse.

Cassipen

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Cassipen : "Static in all ports"

Hi, so today i decided to mess around with my pc, and oddly enough after I put it all back together I started hearing static noise in my headphones, especially when playing games. The static doesn't get louder when I turn the volume up, but it does whenever I switch my window to the game. I have my headphone plugged into the back of the case. I tried the front as well, its a little bit better but I can still hear it. I also tried it with my other pair of headphones and it can hear the static too.
I turned off all my fans and I can still hear it. I even plugged out my graphics card and its still there.
I updated all my drivers, windows updates, no change.

All I did before this was install a new ssd, vacuum out a bit of dust, took the cpu out and reapplied thermal paste, and did some cable management at the back. I have no idea what causing this now. My only theory is that I damaged my motherboard pins or something while cleaning. I'm a little lazy to take the cpu out again, and since im rarely clumsy I don't see this to be very plausible.

Anyone have any suggestions?