Headphone DAC/Amp for Sennheiser's HD 6XX (Massdrop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stijn Hendriks

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015
So I bought the HD 6XX from Massdrop and it will arive in a few days, but I'm still looking for a good headphone DAC/AMP.
I don't have any knowledge of DAC's or Amps so.. Where to begin?

I got this information from a few communities:
300 OHM
103 db/mW
110 dB SPL
1.23 Vrms
4.1 mA
5.04 mW
I was looking at Schiit audio, FiiO E12, K5 and A5
I really like the idea of the FiiO E12 since it is portable and usable for my smartphone.

Any ideas? Is the FiiO E12 good enough? Or do I need a more powerful Amp/DAC?

Solution
D
The E12 will get the HD 6xx ( same as the HD650 which I own ) loud. That doesn't mean it will drive the 6xx anywhere near its potential though. The more power you give them the better they sound. I liked my HD 600s more than my HD650s until I got an Aune X7S. 1.7w of class A power through the balanced connection does amazing things to the 650s.

Portable Fiio good enough to get loud? Yes.

You could get an O2 and an SDAC from Massdrop right now for about $170. Or a wait for the Topping D10 or D30 drop to come back.

The Aune X1S is a very good DAC / amp combo that drops for $199.

The Schiit stack ( Magni 3 / Modi 2 ). Schiit is quite popular but their DACs don't necessarily measure very well.

I've got a Topping D30 paired with the...

Peter Martin

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
I really like the Schiit

http://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim

WITH the Multibit DAC (best one yet, also, upgradable in future)

the way I config it, it's 599 USD

you can buy it without a DAC, but I would get the Multibit one, then you have an AWESOME DAC and AMP in one box.

however, for 200 you can get separate DAC and AMD, a Schiit Magni3 and a Schiit Modi (that will be my work setup soon)

you want a separate DAC so you don't have to use crummy onboard audio dacs. The beauty of the Joutenheim is that is an awesome amp to begin with, and you can add DACs according you what you can afford as you go.

D

Deleted member 217926

The E12 will get the HD 6xx ( same as the HD650 which I own ) loud. That doesn't mean it will drive the 6xx anywhere near its potential though. The more power you give them the better they sound. I liked my HD 600s more than my HD650s until I got an Aune X7S. 1.7w of class A power through the balanced connection does amazing things to the 650s.

Portable Fiio good enough to get loud? Yes.

You could get an O2 and an SDAC from Massdrop right now for about $170. Or a wait for the Topping D10 or D30 drop to come back.

The Aune X1S is a very good DAC / amp combo that drops for $199.

The Schiit stack ( Magni 3 / Modi 2 ). Schiit is quite popular but their DACs don't necessarily measure very well.

I've got a Topping D30 paired with the Aune X7S. Great combo.

The Massdrop LCX or CTH even better.

Solution

Stijn Hendriks

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015

Thanks for you answer, I'm thinking about waiting for the Aune X1S or just buying the Schiit Fulla (dac+amp).
Maybe going for a cheap solution for now.
Also is the Schiit Jotunheim worth it? it is the more expensive version of the Fulla.

Stijn Hendriks

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015

Thanks for the answer.
So buying the Schiit Modi and Magni is actually a good solution?

D

Deleted member 217926

Schiit products are very popular and they're pushed quite hard on the forums they sponsor like HeadFi where anything bad written about them is instantly deleted. They don't necessarily measure very well though, especially their DACs.

D

Deleted member 217926

The X1S has a very good DAC integrated. You wouldn't need the Topping.

Also wait for Massdrop. They have it at least monthly ( they usually offer both the X1S and X7S ) at $199. That's $100 cheaper than Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.