Headphone jack not working laptop

Vxneji

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
i have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series Laptop, works fine few months ago jack started acting up, but i found that changing the volume fixed the issue,- when i plugged in headphones, it would only play thru one side, i turned up the volume and it would start playing out of both, then turn volume back down and continue.
although for a few days now, this fix is no longer working, and the pc is playing audio out of side of my headphones
Also if i wiggle the the headphones jack inside the pc it somtimes will play properly for a split second then go back to playing on one side.
-NOTE- headphones r not the issue- they work fine on my phone- audio technica ath m50x
pretty sure its a hardware issue
tried cleaning out dust with some small brushes didnt work.
do not want to buy a usb sound card
any help would be appreciated

Solution
Sounds to me like the audio output jack has either got corroded, or is dirty. The brass contacts inside can suffer with a patina over time. it has all the symptoms. You should try getting hold of some "rubbing" or isopropyl alcohol. Then using an interdental brush (same kind of size to a 3.5mm male jack plug) dip it into a tiny amount of the alcohol (making sure that ALL the excess is shaken off, so as not to make its way further into the laptop) and cleaning the socket in a horizontal and circular motion. You may need to do this several times. Then LEAVE it for at least an hour so it can do its work and dry.

I hope this helps, its a good cheap fix to try first.
K.
Sounds to me like the audio output jack has either got corroded, or is dirty. The brass contacts inside can suffer with a patina over time. it has all the symptoms. You should try getting hold of some "rubbing" or isopropyl alcohol. Then using an interdental brush (same kind of size to a 3.5mm male jack plug) dip it into a tiny amount of the alcohol (making sure that ALL the excess is shaken off, so as not to make its way further into the laptop) and cleaning the socket in a horizontal and circular motion. You may need to do this several times. Then LEAVE it for at least an hour so it can do its work and dry.

I hope this helps, its a good cheap fix to try first.
K.

Solution