Headphone needs an Amp?

IceBlend

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
So, I'm looking to get a Sennheiser Game Zero and noticed that there were plenty of people suggesting it to be used with an Amp due to it's 150 ohm impedence.

Would I also need a DAC as well. I'm not too fond of getting the Amp so will the DAC combo give a significant quality increase for the price?

I'm currently looking at the Objective2 Amp and noticed that there is a single headphone jack. As the headphone terminates as seperate mic and audio. This would mean I need an adapter to fit into the Amp. So, would this be fine to do, as in would plugging the mic and headphone into the Amp allow both to function on the headset?

Solution
you do not necessarily need a headphone amplifier... you just need a soundcard with fairly strong amplifier.

on the cheap a $27 xonar dg would do this.
the $80 creative z works as well.

the o2 and similar amps will be stronger however you really do not need that for the zero's. even a lower end fiio amplifier would work.

if you want to keep virtual surround : you want a soundcard or an amp hooked up to a soundcard or onboard (if your onboard has virtual capability) as using an external dac+amp (like the modi-magni stack or all in one units) would eliminate virtual surround as an option.

Xialon

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015
I have owned a G4ME Zero headset for over 6 months. Personally, I use the Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 External Soundcard because it has an amp AND it has enough connections for you to plug in your headset AND speakers into the same soundcard. It also has a mic jack, so you can plug everything into one device. The audio program that comes with the soundcard is also fun to mess around with since you can boost the bass up to 100% and thoroughly enjoy movies and games.

You do not need a DAC. Just an amp.

here is a link to the sound card: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Performance-Headphone-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B00EZT7RE4

Currently only $50 on Amazon and it does all the things you need to in order to enjoy the G4ME experience.

you do not necessarily need a headphone amplifier... you just need a soundcard with fairly strong amplifier.

on the cheap a $27 xonar dg would do this.
the $80 creative z works as well.

the o2 and similar amps will be stronger however you really do not need that for the zero's. even a lower end fiio amplifier would work.

if you want to keep virtual surround : you want a soundcard or an amp hooked up to a soundcard or onboard (if your onboard has virtual capability) as using an external dac+amp (like the modi-magni stack or all in one units) would eliminate virtual surround as an option.

Solution