Solved! Headphones and speakers wont separate

Jun 14, 2018
When I try to use my headphones, the speakers and headphones would both play. I tried checking to see if it's my default device but the headphones and speakers are connected as one and I can't separate them, I only want the headphones to play by itself but the speakers would play as well, please help!

Solution
If you don't see the headphones as a separate item listed in "Control Panel" and then "Sound", on the "Playback" tab, then the system may well not see them, which could be an issue with the port.

You can try, while the headphones are plugged in, to right click on the "Speaker" (in the area mentioned above) and then click "Disable". See if the sound then plays in the headphones only. If not, or it just turns all sound off, then there is no way to separate them while using that port.

You would then either have to have the port replaced (which may not resolve it anyway) or get a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect through that.
If you don't see the headphones as a separate item listed in "Control Panel" and then "Sound", on the "Playback" tab, then the system may well not see them, which could be an issue with the port.

You can try, while the headphones are plugged in, to right click on the "Speaker" (in the area mentioned above) and then click "Disable". See if the sound then plays in the headphones only. If not, or it just turns all sound off, then there is no way to separate them while using that port.

You would then either have to have the port replaced (which may not resolve it anyway) or get a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect through that.

Solution
Jun 14, 2018

Oh that's a shame, I have no idea where to go get a 3.5mm USB adapter though..