Headphones occasionally stop working on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJackTheor

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Sometimes my headphones will stop working when I'm in the middle of using my computer. One minute, I'm watching a video and the sound is working fine and then I'll click on another video to watch and then the sound suddenly fails. One thing that I've noticed is that the sound never fails while I'm in the middle of playing audio however this could just be a coincidence.

The strange thing is that this issue is never permanent. After a day or two, the issue magically resolves itself and my headphones work fine with my laptop. I've confirmed that the headphones work fine and my drivers are all up to date.

Solution
It could be the jack, but lets hope not. That is much more of a pain to deal with.

Try this and see if it fixes it...

NOTE: Make sure your headphones are connected when doing this.

If your speaker/headphones aren't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and follow the prompts. (Be sure you also click the "Test" button.)
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

MrJackTheor

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

No, this does not happen with the laptop's internal speakers. Yes, I have tried using a different set of headphones and the problem still occurs. I'm certain that something is wrong with the laptop itself, but I don't know what.

It could be the jack, but lets hope not. That is much more of a pain to deal with.

Try this and see if it fixes it...

NOTE: Make sure your headphones are connected when doing this.

If your speaker/headphones aren't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and follow the prompts. (Be sure you also click the "Test" button.)
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.