Solved! Headphones only work when plugged into External USB Microphone

Jun 12, 2021
I have an Audio-Technica USB microphone that is plugged into my front USB 3.0. I have a Sennheiser gaming headset that I have had plugged into the 3.5mm jack built into my microphone. This has been working great, i can hear through my headset and can record using my microphone. Before I had the microphone my headset was plugged into the back port audio jack and worked just fine. One day I decided to plug my headset back into the rear audio jack so that I could take advantage of my motherboards sound card and I could not get any sound to play through my headset.

Things I have tried:

I have tried unplugging the microphone to issolate if all sound was being routed to the mic. That didnt work

I have tried restarting computer. That failed as well

I have updated drivers to no avail

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling driver and have tried windows troubleshooting (windows troubleshoot is garbage)

I have messed with the setting the best I know how and nothing seems to work.

And YES I am 100% sure my headset works just fine.

Please someone know how to fix this issue, it is driving me insane cause I cant take advantage of my sound card cause of my issue.

Last edited:
Solution
I have tried other things in the jack to make sure it isnt headset or connector. How do I check if its set to motherboard or USB microphone? Cause that sounds like a likely scenario. My audio manager detects when and what I plug in but nothing works when plugged in other then mic.

Sound settings, Chose your input device, there is also a Manage sound devices option you can check.
Jun 12, 2021
Did you check the default sound output to make sure it's set to the motherboard and not that USB microphone? Check anything else on that jack to make rule out anything with the headset connector?

I have tried other things in the jack to make sure it isnt headset or connector. How do I check if its set to motherboard or USB microphone? Cause that sounds like a likely scenario. My audio manager detects when and what I plug in but nothing works when plugged in other then mic.

Sound settings, Chose your input device, there is also a Manage sound devices option you can check.

Solution