Headset does not work with adapter/PC

Legacywire

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Hello, I'm having an issue with my headset.
It's a Turtle Beach 50X Recon Headset (I know it's an Xbox One headset, but it USED to work on my laptop.)
Now that I've built my new PC, I needed a splitter to turn the aux input into a headphone input and a mic input. It has a detachable mic, if that helps.
The splitter I'm using is the StarTech MUYHSFMM 3.5mm 4 Pin to 2x3 Pin 3.5mm Headset Splitter Adapter - F/M.
It doesn't label the Mic and Headset so that might be the problem but I've been switching them and nothing. Whenever I listen to myself I hear loud white noise. Any questions or answers would be lovely, thank you.
PC Specs:
AMD Athlon X4 880K Quad-Core (CPU)
Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H (Motherboard)
MSI GeForce GTX 950 (GPU)
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1x8GB DDR3 (RAM)
EVGA 430W Power Supply (PSU, obviously)
HEC 6K28BB8F (Case/Chassis)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)

Thank you for any help. :)

Edit: While doing some test recordings, I found that whenever I muted the mic from the in-line controls, the static that was being recorded would quiet a bit but not completely. If anyone knows what that could mean I'd appreciate it.

Edit #2: The name of the headset (output/playback device) is Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio Device). Whenever anything, like Spotify, plays sound into it, it only plays in the left ear.

Edit #3: When I didn't use the splitter/adapter, just the headset straight into the headphone jack, it worked fine, except the mic.

Solution

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004

Sounds like your adapter cable may have an issue. If both speakers in the headset work when you don't use the adapter, but only one side works when you use the adapter, there must be an issue with the adapter.

I presume the adapter in question looks something like this:

3.5mm Headphone Mic Audio Y Splitter Cable

Solution

Legacywire

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

It does but they're not labeled. Thanks for the help!