headset replacement and help

DeumBelli

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
Ok so i just got my hyper x cloud 2 for 100 u.s. dollars and it pops like many people say it does. Now im gonna return it but i dont know what other headset to get to replace it within its price range. I was thinking of getting the hyper x cloud 1 since i didnt hear any problems with those. However if there is another headset much more worth it please let me know. I also realy like the hyper x cloud because of its look and it matches my entire setup(mouse keyboard pc and monitor) perfectly with its black and red color.

Also another question is why when a headset has audio and mic all in one jack i cant get both to work on either my front connectors or back panel connecters i can only seem to get one to work at a time. This is another reason i was gonna get the cloud 1 because it has split jacks. i have nzxt h440 and msi z97 gaming 5 incase you need to know that for any reasons.

Solution
plugs which combine mic+headphones on one jack are 4 pole (3 rings+tip) while plugs which dont are 2x 3 pole (2 rings + tip). they do make adapters for this.

for the money the hyperxcloud1 is well respected. other options include the v2 and gc780 but both are known to have some issues as well.
plugs which combine mic+headphones on one jack are 4 pole (3 rings+tip) while plugs which dont are 2x 3 pole (2 rings + tip). they do make adapters for this.

for the money the hyperxcloud1 is well respected. other options include the v2 and gc780 but both are known to have some issues as well.

Solution

DeumBelli

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014

i know about the 3 rings thats what i was saying i have a problem with. i have to headsets with a 3 ring jack plus the tip but for some reason no matter well i plug it in on my computer it can only detect either the audio or mic only

headsets are either 2x3pole or 1x4pole.

a single 3pole 3.5mm can only offer microphone OR headphone sound, not both.

typically pcs and laptops have seperate (3pole) ports for headphone and another for microphone. tablets, phones and other devices including ps4 use 4pole.

if you have a 4pole combined jack you will need an adapter similar to below. typically this is included when you buy the headset though.
2-in-1-Audio-adapter-cable-3-5mm-male-3-pole-to-3-5mm-female-4.jpg

not "detect". they are two physically different connections. a 3 pole is set up to handle 3 pole while a 4 pole has an extra set of pins in the jack at different locations to handle 4pole. often a 4pole will either give headphone or mic output when plugged into a 3pole jack depending on how far it is pulled or pushed out but this is just because of how it is contacting the pins. it is not correct to use it in this manner and you need an adapter.

152611-pogo_plug_headphone_jack.jpg

think about it like trying to plug a square peg in a round hole. the 3 pole jacks physically arent designed to handle the 4pole plugs.

the pc standard is for 2x 3.5mm. seperate mic and headphone. this is because headphones and microphones were always seperate connectors and for audio quality. the combined jack is a newer standard but never got implemented on pcs (in most cases, some devices do handle it) since there is no need due to having enough space for two connectors.

phones typically use a single jack to save on space (they also sometimes use the smaller 2.5mm ports).