HELP both of my shift keys do not work and i dont have sticky keys on

Status
Not open for further replies.

konner27

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
both of my shift keys on my gateway 6020gz laptop do not work and sticky keys is off. i have no idea what is wrong and i need help please.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I would maybe try the Passmark tool then to see if both of your shift keys magically broke at the same time. I kind of doubt it, but it should be tested. From a little googling it seems like this issue isn't extremely rare, but I haven't found a cause or solution yet.

konner27

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
i am not sure if i did the right benchmark but i tried the passmark keyboard benchmark 3.0 and when i press the shift keys it doesnt show either of them being pressed on the screen and they don't register at all.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
No indication was given as to whether this was helpful, but someone suggested changing your regional setting in the control panel.

You didn't spill anything on the keyboard did you?

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
If Passmark doesn't register the keys, then it seems like they might be broken. I don't think a software setting to ignore the presses would affect passmark (although I could be wrong). It just seems odd that they would both break.

If you did happen to spill something on the keyboard, you could try to clean it.

If you felt particularly ambitious, you could try something like a "live" install of Ubuntu and see if the issue persists. That would fairly definitively show whether it's software or hardware.

konner27

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
i did not spill anything on it but the thing is i got this laptop from someone who thought it was broken so they gave it to me and i figured out that the hard drive was just bad and i just received the new one today and installed windows and everything. when i got the laptop i did mess around with ubuntu just tried it from the disc and the shift keys didn't work then either.

antisolution

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
hi, i have an asus g73sw. i had the same issue where both of my shifts stopped working, however more than just the shift keys were having issues. after ordering a new keyboard and experiencing the same problem i began to fidget with the component on my motherboard that my keyboard plugs into. i have gotten all of my other keys to work save for my shift keys. i have installed the driver and checked everything mentioned and still havent been able to solve the problem. can somebody tell me if i will be able to replace the individual component or will this require me to replace the motherboard as a whole *question mark*

pipboy-3000

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
I had exactly the same issue with my Dell E6410. One day both shift keys just suddenly decided not to work. Again like with others, on USB attached keyboard everything was fine. I've downloaded the keyboard test tool and both shift buttons weren't present. I even booted up Linux CD to prove beyond any doubts that it's not somehow Windows related. After all of that I was ready to buy a new keyboard, but decided to wait until Monday, to do the final test at work with another E6410 keyboard. You can imagine how surprised I was when the following morning everything was back to normal - both shift keys work like a charm again. What's the cause? I still believe that it is somehow hardware related, so maybe sooner or later I will have to buy another keyboard, but if you're in similar situation, my advice is to wait a day, before you place an order.

kantikshah

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

My Sony VAIO E Series VPCEB46FG Laptop, Both Shift Keys stopped functioning. After doing lots of thing for 10 days I could get back both SHIFT Keys functioning. I removed the ONE "Back Cover Screw" which was pressing on the back of my "Left Shift Key". My problem is solved. 
...sorry friends,,,,, my problem has recurred in 2-3 hours and no solution at present.. so sorry..

eddie99

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014
On my desktop the WAKE key button had popped through the keyboard wiggled it around with an insulated pick and both SHIFT keys now working. Suggest looking for any sort of key problem like a pushed in key that is not normally in use. It may also be related to using the SLEEP button on the keyboard so I'm going back to using Sleep through the START menu.

Eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.