[HELP] Buying a new laptop - UK ~£250 - Uni use

nimskido

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
1. What is your budget? ~£250

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? around 14" but can go smaller

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1366 x 768 or higher

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? no

5. How much battery life do you need? somewhat long since I would be using it for notes etc

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? csgo extremely low if possible 45 fps but gaming isnt a must

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) just essays and stuff, nothing cpu heavy

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? not that much since i can backup online ~250gb but can go lower

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 or 4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? nope

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. /

13. What country do you live in? UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. //

Solution
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-z510-intel-core-i5-4200m-6gb-500sshddvd-sm-15.6-win-8-laptop-59391775/version.asp#maindesc

This is slightly above your budget, at nearly 300GBP. However, it comes with quite a competent GT 740M graphics card, which will most assuredly play games with medium quality and good performance. It also has a 500GB drive, and a fast non-ULV dual-core i5-4200M CPU, which will probably last the entire lifetime of the laptop being able to perform basic productivity tasks like browsing and creating documents, as well as possibly light image and video editing.

metalicgeek

Estimable
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-z510-intel-core-i5-4200m-6gb-500sshddvd-sm-15.6-win-8-laptop-59391775/version.asp#maindesc

This is slightly above your budget, at nearly 300GBP. However, it comes with quite a competent GT 740M graphics card, which will most assuredly play games with medium quality and good performance. It also has a 500GB drive, and a fast non-ULV dual-core i5-4200M CPU, which will probably last the entire lifetime of the laptop being able to perform basic productivity tasks like browsing and creating documents, as well as possibly light image and video editing.

Solution

nimskido

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014

Thanks! This looks brilliant. But, since its lenovo do i need to do anything about the superfish, backdoor etc stuff that I've read ?

Cheers