Solved! help choosing a laptop/ultrabook

George_1971

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
Hi, I'm currently looking for a new laptop - specs as below. Anyone have any reccomendations please?

1. What is your budget? £600 max

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14" upto 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920 x 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable / light / thin

5. How much battery life do you need? 7 hours min

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? NO

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) light video/photo editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 512gb SSD if possible

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? NONE

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Open to suggestions

13. What country do you live in? UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. USB C required to future proof. Quite like the HP ENvy 360 15.6"

Solution
A repairable laptop might be a good idea. Portable / light / thin laptops usually aren't repairable. If it's repairable, it will have screws on the bottom so it can be dis-assembled.

An Ultrabook might be underpowered.
Video/photo editing usually benefits from a quad core processor and a high CPU speed. A 3 GHz or faster CPU would be good. But a smaller SSD and an external hard drive might be better. The reason is that video editing can burn out some SSDs.
Try to get a laptop with more than one USB port. Then a USB drive can easily be copied to another. Also if a USB port fails, there is another USB port to use.

The HP ENvy 360 15.6" was released in 2014, so it's not the newest design. It might no longer be available.
Avoid the...

mikef845

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
A repairable laptop might be a good idea. Portable / light / thin laptops usually aren't repairable. If it's repairable, it will have screws on the bottom so it can be dis-assembled.

An Ultrabook might be underpowered.
Video/photo editing usually benefits from a quad core processor and a high CPU speed. A 3 GHz or faster CPU would be good. But a smaller SSD and an external hard drive might be better. The reason is that video editing can burn out some SSDs.
Try to get a laptop with more than one USB port. Then a USB drive can easily be copied to another. Also if a USB port fails, there is another USB port to use.

The HP ENvy 360 15.6" was released in 2014, so it's not the newest design. It might no longer be available.
Avoid the student laptops, which aren't intended for video/photo editing.

Solution

George_1971

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

Thank you velo3100 - the Asus looks good, but it's just the lack of SSD that puts me off and wouldn't be able to upgrade as £600 is my max

George_1971

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

Thanks mikef845, I really like the look of the HP Envy 360, especially this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M5AXFL1/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1BOXVCRDK5WZ5&coliid=I8WHYVXS743JK&psc=1

Although it's out of my price range I may look for a version with a slightly lower specification.

If only there was a 14" version that would give me the portability option - however this was a great suggestion - many thanks

Nebi7

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Hi,what do you think about..? dell xps 13 9360 i7-7560 full hd ,512 ssd 16gb ram,Intel iris graphics
and (or) -dell xps 15 i7-7700HQ quad-core full HD 16GB RAM 512 SSD nvidia gtx 1050

I need for light video editing and for traveling around..tnx in advance..