Help choosing laptop. Limited on where to buy from but narrowed down to two...

Taranankh

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
Hello,

As the title states I'm on the hunt for a new laptop but limited on where I can buy from but I think I've narrowed it down to two. They both have the same processors and GPU. One has an IPS screen and the other doesn't. Both are sitting at the same price, however one is apparently reduced. What I'm looking for is reliability in manufacturer and overall value for money. And on both, I have no idea.

This is my first time in looking to buy something with a dedicated GPU. Though my partner thinks I should get a desktop... but I like the portability of a laptop.

1. What is your budget? £750 - Top end.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want? Decent

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Prefer portability over wanting a desktop replacement.

5. How much battery life do you need? Doesn't matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? Star Wars Online, Assassins Creed. I will be honest and say my previous two laptops have been Acers with integrated graphics so games I've played has been basic graphic settings ^_^

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Photo editing. I'm starting up a business and I'd like to show case some pictures, give them tweeks from my Z3C photos and Canon EOS.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? A decent amount, however I do have a few external harddrives.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Very - See laptop choices.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible. 3-4years has been my max.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? Not really a necessity.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13. What country do you live in? UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Zoostorm GT6 I couldn't find any reviews on this my the IPS screen put this in for the running.

Lenovo Y50 I read some good things about this a part from the screen quality.

If you wouldn't mind having a look over and give me a few of your thoughts or if there is alternatives on that site that I should consider.

Taranankh

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
Oh.. I meant to say I can hook the laptop up to a 4k Panasonic tv if that nullifies the IPS on the Zoostorm.

Thanks again!

I think this may be the same system as the Zoostorm you are looking at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc4ZWlAEqP8&list=UUJ9O0vRPsMFk5UtIDimr6hQ

There are several OEM makers of those types of re-branded laptops, there are usually 2-3-4 of the same hardware with maybe slight changes and different names.

For a known brand with likely better warranty support, Lenovo. For better screen quality would be the Zoostorm. If it was me, I'd go with a Zoostorm but that is based on being able to do quite a bit of troubleshooting and fixing things myself and liking a quality screen over most other things.

1080 IPS screen, AC WiFi, 12 GB of RAM, 960m video card, sounds like a good part.

Only thing is the 5400 rpm hard drive, but you can replace that at some point with an SSD or at least a hybrid drive for better startup and loading speed.