Help choosing laptop!

Darkalons

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Hello,

I want to purchase a laptop for general use/college works and also for moderate gaming.

I know a laptop isn't ideal for gaming (I have a gaming desktop), but I would like something where I can still play most of my games with moderate settings/fps.

I have 2 options basically, limited to where I live. One is the Asus ROG GL551JW-DS71, which has a i7 processor, 16gb RAM, 1tb HDD, 960m GPU My other option is a very similar asus model, but with a 950m instead of the 960m ( along with 12gb of ram instead of 16gb, 750gb of HDD, and I think the same i7 processor.. I sadly don't have the model name/number handy.

Basically the price different between the 2 is of about $220, so it is a decent amount to consider. My question is, would my gaming performance (I know for everything else is decent) be impacted too much if I go for a 950m over 960m? Most of the games I plan to play on it would be MMO's (wow, gw2, wildstar) plus some other recent games. For reference I play on a 770gtx (on my desktop) and it is definitely enough for what I play. The other specs are worth of consideration, however my biggest concern is regarding GPUs.

PS: Again, I know there are better models around, with better specs etc. But where I live is extremely expensive and hard to find better/different models, so this is within my budget and posibilities.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Hi,

If you're leaning more on the gaming capability of the laptop I would go for Asus ROG GL551JW-DS71 that has a 960m graphics card. It's more powerful that the 950m which run 914mhz compare to 960m which has 1ghz so interms of numbers it's a bit higher. But there's just very little difference between those 2 and since you'll be playing your recent games with it budget wise i'll go for the 2nd one that's $200 cheaper that the first one. :)
Hi,

If you're leaning more on the gaming capability of the laptop I would go for Asus ROG GL551JW-DS71 that has a 960m graphics card. It's more powerful that the 950m which run 914mhz compare to 960m which has 1ghz so interms of numbers it's a bit higher. But there's just very little difference between those 2 and since you'll be playing your recent games with it budget wise i'll go for the 2nd one that's $200 cheaper that the first one. :)

Solution