Help! Colorful vertical lines on half of laptop screen

pilot35

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014
Hi,

This afternoon, I found out that my laptop suddenly have these colorful vertical lines on the half right side on the screen! I never dropped it or anything, it was just there on my desk all the time. When I gave a slight bend to the screen, the lines disappeared, but when I let go, they appear again!

I know that this has nothing to do with the GPU or motherboard, as I tried using an external monitor and it was just fine. What do you guys think? Is it the LCD or a loose connector causing it? I also found out that if I pressed the area near the right side of the hinge, the lines are gone, but when I let go, they come back.

I asked the PC repair guy, he took quick glimpse and said the LCD is cracked, and I have to pay $100 to have it replaced.

Oh and btw, my laptop is an Acer Aspire E5. It's only slightly over a year old. Any help is appreciated. :)

Hi,

I would suggest checking the if the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard is seated properly first. If you can open your laptop, do disconnect both ends from the motherboard and the LCD itself then connect them back in and see if that will solve the problem or not. Also a replacement LCD for laptops normally cost around $70 - $80. But if you're not confident enough to replace the LCD yourself I would suggest to just take it to your local tech that should do it for you. :)