[Help] Flashing Bios to Unlock vBios

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenrail

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I'm on an alienware m14x r2 and i'm attempting to flash it to unlock the bios in order to overclock my keplar gpu at higher frequencies instead of being capped at +135 Mhz. I referred to this thread here as a starting point.

[http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1841-[m14x-r2]-vbios-mods-unlocked-overclocking-limits-voltage-tweaks-modified-clocks.html]

For those not familiar with an alienware m14x r2 hardware, check below.

Alienware M14X R2
A03 BIOS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHzV
2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT 650M
Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
256 GB Crucial M4 SSD

Several general questions about the process have not been asked and after some googling and youtubing i'm not entirely satisfied with what i've seen so far so i'm here to ask the expert community on how to do a basic bios flash.

1. My first question is what utility to use? nvflash or flashit. Judging from softpedia, flashit reviews are higher and seems to satsify the majority of the users who've downloaded and used it.

2. My second question involves the actual process. I have a patriot 16 gb usb thumbdrive.
a.) Will it need to be formatted to FAT32 or is NTFS compatible?
b.) Second will i need to make a folder inside my drive with the ROM/.FD file with the flashing utility as well?
c.) Will the process be affected if there are other files on the drive.
d.) I will need to boot from the drive (set the priority to first) as well correct?
e.) What commands will i need to input in order to execute the flashing?

Finally, i have a couple of questions regarding the history of my BIOS and the possible outcomes with these settings.

I changed to AHCI mode and have changed no other settings in BIOS. Will I need to select defaults? Will this complicate the flashing process (cause a crash or freeze)?

Will I need to select set to defaults under all sections or just once to flash successfully?

If my pc is set to AHCI and setting my defaults back to RAID, what If I crash and can't load windows?

Does my voltage sync adaptively with my core clocking or will I need to adjust it manually?

---

If anyone can please list a numbered step by step easy DIY tutorial on the process as detailed as possible that will reduce the risk of bricking as well as answering all of my questions, it would be extremely helpful.

Thanks guys, hope to hear from someone soon.

nna2

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
first of all, try finding an unlocked GT650M bios, grab your fave flashing tool (which ever of the 2 you prefer)... if you need to boot off a USB drive, make it fat32

the likelyhood of finding an unlocked vbios for that card is almost zero, good luck

I'm going to start out by advising you look at cooling options before trying to ramp up your GPU, here's why. You're on a rather small laptop which means airflow is severely limited. The GPU runs hot, likely taxing your cooling already which is also cooling your CPU. Without changing/improving the HSF, I think you'll end up with thermal throttling which would negate any performance improvements (not to mention the extra wear and tear from heat).
What are the temps you're currently showing when gaming?
When time permits, I'll get to your specific questions but I thought I'd throw that heads up out there.

xenrail

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Yes i'm quite aware of thermal issues. I currently have an elevated cooling pad for my laptop and im running around 59 to 60 degrees when i'm gaming. That's without a repasting which i plan to do soon with IC Diamond.

Several other users have OC'd their laptop with stable temps so i believe it's quite possible. Otherwise i would not even think about pushing my laptop past its limits safely

Also the only usb drive i have readily available is an 16gb version. I believe all thumbdrives <4 gb are formatted in fat32. Would this affect anything?

UPDATE: I went ahead and got the OK from the creator of the modded BIOS to flash with InsydeFlash. Had absolutely no problems. :)

So now your graphics card is unlocked? Have you bumped clocks/voltages and have you tested them (I'm going to be weary of suggesting furmark on a laptop) while gaming? Have you noticed an increase in frame rates/playability. Finally, how are temps?

xenrail

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
i wouldn't touch furmark with a 20 foot pole. i've heard that benching program actually damages gpus. (quoted by Brian @ TechInferno)

the voltages automatically adapt to my clocks. I've ran a couple tests on 3dmark11 and hit a score of 3241 with clocks @ +345 & +925. http://i.imgur.com/yacyC.jpg

Temps hit a high of 63-64 (peaked)

I've noticed nearly a 20%+ performance increase in frames and was able to play at Ultra settings 4x TXAA barring shadows (medium)

All of this was tested during a 1.5 hour black ops 2 gaming session.

I am experiencing a small problem though when i play the campaign. Here is the thread describing my issue. I'm playing at much lower clocks (+315 & +850)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/378524-33-650m#t2848114

Drivers are 310.54 beta

Status
Not open for further replies.