Help for new laptop decision

Alex5511

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
Good evening, I have no clue on which laptop suits better my needings so I'm asking for help. Thank you in advance.

1. What is your budget?
Max 1200 euro.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
At least 13".

3. What screen resolution do you want?
No special needings.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I need a portable laptop, the lighter the better.

5. How much battery life do you need?
No special needings.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Maybe some light games, anyway it's not important. I need it for a master in Neural Systems and Computation, so I need good computational power.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
See point 6.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I think a 256gb SSD will be enough.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
No special sites.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2/3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No special needings.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Nothing to mention.

13. What country do you live in?
Switzerland

14. Please tell us any additional information if need
I know I can find a decent laptop for what I need at 600/700 euro. Anyway if it fits into the butget and the perfomances are really better I don't mind spending more.

Thank you so much again!

It sounds like a quad-core medium-strength workstation. Budget is between €700 and €1,200 and it should last 3 years. This means used/refurbished, like this ThinkPad W540 from eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W540-Core-i7-4800MQ-2-7GHz-16Gb-128Gb-SSD-1920x1080-NVidia-UMTS-/311804041597?hash=item4898f8197d:g:tK4AAOSwnbZYHM1B

At €979 this W540 comes with a quad-core Haswell i7 backed by a 2GB Quadro K1100M GPU designed for your line of work. This model features Windows 8 Professional. There are several laptops on offer on eBay with these specifications - but take your time and scrutinize the available pictures.

Amazon DE also has several quad-cores on offer but finding a quad-core/quadro combination will take some time. But I found this €850 Dell Precision:
https://www.amazon.de/Dell-Precision-Workstation-Quad-Core-Betriebssystem/dp/B015T6B7H4/ref=sr_1_33?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1487442001&sr=1-33

Specs broadly similar to the W540 - but the GPU is slightly better. Note: It doesn't have an OS, so you'll have to add the cost of a Windows licence or install a free Linux OS.

I believe these are fairly representative of the options available to you. But you could also consider a (new) €1,200 Eurocom Tornado F5W. Copy-paste this link to your browser:
http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(2,403,0)ec

In its base version it includes a Xeon E3 CPU and a 2GB Quadro M1000M GPU (GDDR5) with an IPS panel which will improve portability. Eurocom is a niche manufacturer of very high-end gaming rigs and workstations, and this machine is designed to last well past 5 years.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Can you give me some websites you use to buy laptops from?