HELP: Laptop To Play Civilizations 6

Jfwatson10

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
I don't know much about the building/parts of a laptop. I'm a bit confused when the game requirements show one thing, but my laptop appears to have an integrated graphics card if I am understanding that correctly. More info posted below. I was reviewing the requirements for this game and it showed this:

Recommended:
Processor: Fourth generation Intel Core i5 2.5 Ghz or AMD FX8350 4.0 Ghz or greater
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Hard drive: 12 GB or more
DVD-Rom: Required for disc-based installation
Video card: 2 GB DirectX 11 Video Card (AMD 7970 or Nvidia 770 or greater)

-My current Laptop is HPdv6 with AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics 2.30GHz. I assume this set up is garbage because This laptop struggled with Civilizations 5. I didnt think I would need much computer for it because there is not a lot of action happening in Civilizations at any given time. I guess I was wrong.

-I dont play any other games on my Laptop besides this so I dont need anything crazy. Just something that will run this game smoothly without getting pissed off at it loading slowly and ruining enjoyment of the game. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. I may also use it to stream movies sometimes if that makes any difference. I'm trying not to go broke, but I honestly have no idea what price range I should be looking at for something like this to even offer what my budget would be. I'll save up if it's more than I expected.

Solution
The Civilization series is a very CPU demanding game because of the background calculations that must be done for each civilization at the end of your turn.

The last game I played in that series was Civ IV. I stopped playing it because the "grand scale" of the game was not grand enough for me. I created a massive world with many large continents only to find out that there was a hard limit of about 512 cities in the game. Less than 50% of the total land mass was covered by cities.

Anyway, I recall it took around 10 - 12 minutes for the game to calculate all the AI moves before I was able to move again. That was with a Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU. When it comes to raw CPU computational performance Intel CPUs easily outclasses AMD APUs. The...

Greetings, Watson:

The recommendations include the line "Video card: 2GB DirectX 11 Video Card..." This means a separate, or discrete, GPU in addition to the GPU that is built into your CPU. This would explain why your laptop struggled with Civ V. With Civ VI you're unlikely to get anywhere at all.

Even if you don't play any other game, Civ VI has become a rather demanding game, so let's look at these laptops:

Lenovo Y700 at $850.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-960m-1tb-hdd-128gb-solid-state-drive-black/5623597.p?skuId=5623597

Dell Inspiron 17.3" at $729
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/inspiron-17-5759-laptop/pd?ref=215_img&oc=smi175w7pb2436&model_id=inspiron-17-5759-laptop

HP Omen 15.6" at $750
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-omen-laptop-%28156%29-v7g16av-1

These laptops all meet the Civ VI requirements - the HP just barely so with a 2GB video card. The Lenovo is a "get-it-now" offer and as such is quite a bargain. The Dell is really a regular business/productivity machine with a larger screen and great overall specifications, and the HP is an entry-level gaming laptop that gets the job done.

I like to play strategy games myself and I understand your comment about why these games seem to require this much CPU and GPU power. But bear in mind that even though there's not "a lot of action" going on, the game is working very hard in the background to process the input from you and the AI. That's why you need at least an i5 CPU, and the graphics have also been overhauled significantly in Civ VI requiring at least 2GBs in a separate video card - otherwise the game will stutter or freeze. The graphics built into the CPU just can't cope with the refresh rate needed.

I hope I haven't scared you off Civ VI, and if you have the time I highly recommend that you spend an afternoon browsing the internet for other laptops using the Civ VI requirements as search filters. You might find laptops that are less expensive or better suited for your life.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

The Civilization series is a very CPU demanding game because of the background calculations that must be done for each civilization at the end of your turn.

The last game I played in that series was Civ IV. I stopped playing it because the "grand scale" of the game was not grand enough for me. I created a massive world with many large continents only to find out that there was a hard limit of about 512 cities in the game. Less than 50% of the total land mass was covered by cities.

Anyway, I recall it took around 10 - 12 minutes for the game to calculate all the AI moves before I was able to move again. That was with a Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU. When it comes to raw CPU computational performance Intel CPUs easily outclasses AMD APUs. The more cities, AI nations, and units in the game the longer it will take the game to make all the AI moves.

You should provide a budget for the laptop. If possible, you should get a laptop with a quad core Intel Core i5 / i7 CPU because that will improve performance. Of the 3 laptops recommended by GreyCatz I would definitely avoid the the Dell Inspiron 17.3" laptop because it only has a dual core Intel i7-6500u CPU and the Radeon R5 M335 is a very weak dedicated GPU. It is not much more powerful than the Intel HD 520 graphics core that is integrated in the i7-6500u CPU, and it is definitely less powerful than Intel HD 620 graphics core found in most 7th generation Kaby Lake CPUs that were recently released.

The HP Omen 15 is a pretty good laptop. However, upgrading it to install more RAM or a new hard drive / SSD is a pain. The are screws hidden under the rubber strips on the underside of the laptop. That means you need to peel off those strips to get to the screws so that you can upgrade the laptop. That laptop should have either a quad core i5 or i7 CPU and a GTX 950m.

The Lenovo Y700 is generally the best laptop because it has quad core i7-6700HQ and a GTX 960m.

Solution