Help! Laptop Wont boot.

Stubs101

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hi everyone. So Im having some issues with my MSI gt 680r laptop. Im on vaca. while on the plane i watch some movies on it and then turned it off when getting off. Then in the airport I go to turn it back on but at windows logo it immediately freezes as soon as it appears and goes to start up repair. Let start up repair run all night with zero results. I press f8 at start up to try safe mode. That also results in it going to start up repair. It doesnt even start loading any of the files or test devices it goes to that point where it lists as devices r started but nothing happens and the start up repair comes up. I also tried every option in the safe mode list all with same results. I feel like I have a corrupt hard drive. This comp has two 500G in Raid 0. Im wondering what will happen if I delete that raid volume and make new one. Also the comp has a system recovery mode but i want to exhaust all my options as it says it will erase personal data (not a big deal really). I am fairly knowledgable with comp I built my desktop and have solved many problems but this is a first for me; however, I know almost nothing about raid so that kinda worries me when reinstalling windows. Thanks for you help. I hate it when my comp brakes. Plus Im visiting my dad he is an apple freak and keeps making fun of me saying how PC are just paper weights. HELP!

Solution
well, the RAID 0 setup on a laptop with 2 drive bays is akin to racing a motorcycle with no protective gear or helmet - at some point you know it's gonna hurt you when you crash. Bad idea.

I suggest you reinstall Windows on drive 1 as normal and use the second as data

as far as fixing the errors - my only suggestion would be to boot from the windows dvd and run the system fix from there

---

it's obvious you don't care about losing the data because of your suggestion in recreating a new volume

why don't you upgrade one of the drives to an SSD to get the speed factor, and use the "good" drive as the data

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
well, the RAID 0 setup on a laptop with 2 drive bays is akin to racing a motorcycle with no protective gear or helmet - at some point you know it's gonna hurt you when you crash. Bad idea.

I suggest you reinstall Windows on drive 1 as normal and use the second as data

as far as fixing the errors - my only suggestion would be to boot from the windows dvd and run the system fix from there

---

it's obvious you don't care about losing the data because of your suggestion in recreating a new volume

why don't you upgrade one of the drives to an SSD to get the speed factor, and use the "good" drive as the data

Solution

Stubs101

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

This Laptop was set up in Raid0 from the factory. Thats why I dont know much about it because I didnt set it up. I suggested creating a new volume because I didnt know what it would do but I figured it would result in losing data. I dont really mind the speed difference of the 7200 rpm. On my desktop I had a raptor and then got a good (but not top of the line) SSD i cant remember the write times but it was decent. In any case for the money its not worth it to me.

Getting back on topic Im on vaca so I dont have access to my windows DVD. In addition, I cant remember if it even really came with the cd I would think it did, but I cant rememeber if its one of those ones where you burn the dvd yourself or some crap. Im hoping I do. Can I download some version of the internet and use that to try and fix the errors? Do you think the drive is bad or just some errors in data.

If I do reinstall windows I probably wont use raid.

Stubs101

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Ok well I tried fixing the errors with windows recovery but no dice. Finally I just reinstalled windows. MSI has built in recovery you just hit f3 and it reinstalls windows to factory default. The nice thing is msi set this comp up with two partitions so everything in the D partition was untouched. So I just have to reinstall my games and I lost all my saved games. So that doesnt really bother me. So I still have RAID 0 but I can always install my games in the other partition or atleast figure a way to keep my saved games in the D partition.