Help me choose a laptop [RATHER URGENT]

martinods

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
1. What is your budget?
$1500 USD
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
11-14 inch
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't really matter
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable laptop that has docking capability
5. How much battery life do you need?
12 hours
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
TF2 Minecraft Medium
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Photo and Video editing
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Doesn't matter as long as its SSD
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
NIL
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not necessary
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Lenovo. My Dad works for Lenovo and will inject a $300 budget if I get a Lenovo
13. What country do you live in? And By the way, no Apple. My Dad is convinced that Apple is utter shite
I come in and out of Singapore and Germany
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Must be a cool machine that is portable and light. If possible thin. Going to be used for Medium Intensive tasks.

In order of Importance:
Thin and Light
Build Quality
Power/Speed
Battery life
Build Quality

Questions I ask the community
Is my budget realistic?
Are my requirements realistic?
What should I get?

Solution
I can understand your anxiety :), but its worth waiting for the next MBA... Don't know about the next X Carbon series, when will it release...

As you know already, MBA is more efficient, but, costly w.r.t. their competition.

martinods

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Thank you for your quick reply. Very interesting,,, I doesn't have docking capability. Its a rather powerful machine but size is affected(in a negative way). I don't think I would want to walk to school with such a heavy machine everyday/
Unfortunately, till now the best contender would be a MBA, which my father doesn't want.

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Oh. Sorry !!! I didn't notice the screen size requirement.

For you, Yoga 2 Pro is the best. Look no further... Just go with it !!!
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/yoga/yoga-2-pro/

And, I think, acc. to your budget, you can have the top model, i.e., with 4th gen i7,

martinods

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Is the build quality good? The laptop needs to last for 4 years min,

martinods

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Ok. Cool. Another machine I was considering was a Mac Book Air. Is it okay for Video and Photo editing? Perhaps some very light gaming? The MBA seems to have a lot of power, great heat management, fantasic battery life, nice build quality compared to other ultrabooks its size and weight. Also, the Lenovo X1 Carbon. Same as the MBA just that heat management and power is worse.

Do you think I should wait for MBA 2014 or X2 Carbon? Both should probably ship with new Broadwell processors if out by that time anyway, so there should be another major battery life improvement. Or is it a gamble to find a discontinued X Carbon Series? I highly doubt MBA will be discontinued. But that also means I'll spend 1 semester without a laptop :( Should I go current gen or next gen to enter the class in Semester 2 with a shiny MBA or X2 Carbon?

What I'm trying to say is, Lenovo X1 and MBA have their pros. Should I wait till Mid 2014 to most likey see a fix for the cons or maybe improvements to the current machines.

vinaykumar5320

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I can understand your anxiety :), but its worth waiting for the next MBA... Don't know about the next X Carbon series, when will it release...

As you know already, MBA is more efficient, but, costly w.r.t. their competition.

Solution

martinods

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Hmmmm. I'll really hate having to stay 1 semester without a laptop :( But if it means having an awesome laptop by end of next year, I'm in! I guess the new Chromebook will have to do for now :p
Or, perhaps a budget windows? Any suggestions for a laptop to do my projects with, search the internet and presentations? Cheap Cheap please!

martinods

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Hmm, how about the Chromebook 14 or 11. Both of them are stylish, thin and light. The only this is Chrome OS. It's terrible. No powerpoint, basic video editing software and mostly for online use. Not sure if Wi-fi is available campus wide.

Any light and thin Windows Machines available for cheap?