Help me decide on a few parts..

frozenlead

Distinguished
I need this bad boy to perform like mad.
First, couple of things-
No, I don't care how big or heavy it is
I want the 1920x1200 screen no matter what - I need it to run lots of apps in a small space
Gaming = yes
I plan to upgrade it to 3GB of ram
Battery life I want no less than 2 hours
Cost I'd like to stay close to $2000, but I'm prepared to go to $2500 max.

Whatcha think of this config?

Sager NP5793

17" 1920x1200 screen
2.4GHz T8300
2GB of ram (for now) @ 667
250GB 5400rpm hard disk

Now, questions...

First, the notebook comes with the choice of an 8700M GT (stock) or an 8800M GTX (for $500 more). Is the 8800 worth it? I know I won't be playing any games with the 8700 at 1920x1200, but at 1680x1050? I don't know, I've never had anything this powerful or this high resolution before. Which do you think I should get?

Second...this notebook is already an al-gore heart attack of energy inefficiency...should I risk my battery life on a 7200RPM disk, or tough out the slower drive? (i really won't mind, i suppose)

Third...is the T8300 too strong of a choice for the notebook? would the 2.1GHz T8100 be a better choice? I'm not doing video editing or much audio editing, either would suffice, but I don't know if the 2.1GHz cpu can feed either GPU without a bottleneck.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=51114&action=customize

Thanks.

Quantumstate

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I myself am looking at the NP5793, after discovering how pitiful the GPU is in the Asus M70.

My theory is that the X9000 CPU, 8800 GPU, and BluRay will cost 50% less in six months, so am planning on the basics for these functions for now. 2.1GHz, 8700, DVD.

But there is very little marginal benefit with display, memory, & disk drives, so 1,200 lines, 4GB, and a Seagate Momentus 7200.2 200GB.

I am highly environmentally-conscious, and this machine consumes a fraction of what a desktop machine would. I'm not worried about that.

And of course Debian not Winduhs. (Paper, not plastic, thank you)

This will give you a fix on GPUs. The Quadro is certainly not worth it. The CPU does alot of functions, but it doesn't technically feed the GPU. It lays down memory, which is then read and transferred by the GPU. The 2.1GHz CPU is plenty for most needs, except Photoshop rendering or math/database-intensive work. Plus it can be upgraded when prices come down.

I'll probably buy barebones and fit it out myself with parts from eBay.

Relax.

I think the T8100 and the 8800mGTX would be an excellent combo. Performance wise, the GTX nearly doubles what the 8700mGT scores in 3dmark06. If you enjoy maxing out the settings for your games, either the 8800m GTS or GTX are musts. THe 8600 and 8700 never really cut it as gaming cards since they couldn't even topple the 7950GTX that I have.

This actually kinda annoys me. I could buy a new laptop right now that would nearly double my performance for the same price as what my Sager cost me in July. Blah to that.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Minimum two hour battery life? Since you aren't concerned about size and weight, get something like an 80-100 Amp-Hour AGM deep-cycle battery. Put it in a battery box with a 350W-500W inverter bolted to the top of it. Wheel it around on one of those small luggage-style carts. You should get plenty of runtime out of that. It's a multi-use device you can take on camping trips or use to provide light during power outages.

frozenlead

Distinguished
jtt283...thanks for the laugh. That's probably something I would have done when I was 12, too. I brought a car battery on a bus once to chicago in 8th grade so I could power my dad's laptop. Yup. I got laughed at. But I was still watching movies till we came home!

I'm really thinking about the T8100...the extra $50 or sounds good. Anyone second it? Anyone actually got one? lol