Help me find a laptop for back to school

grapz

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
1_What is your budget?
700-900

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13- 14.1 inches roughly

3_What screen resolutionhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/display_resolution do you want?
Any, as long as it doesn't hurt your eyes and is suitable for school

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
No

5_How much battery lifehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery do you need?
3 hours or more

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No need for games, purley work
7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editinghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_editing , surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Music, mostly surfing to web, listening to lectures, typing stuff out
8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Don't need a lot, 100 gb is enough and plenty

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
None
10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
For at least 2-3 years
11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
The casing should look nice :D
12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
HP, dell, Toshiba, are all good brands, but try to stay away from Acer
13_What country do you live in?
Canada

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Hm...700 to 900 in Canada, it's not too bad to do. Your local Futureshop and Best Buy usually have decent deals, mostly with their back to school events, but I noticed they still use a lot of laptops with the T5xxx series of processors, which aren't so great anymore. You can also check out the Dell Vostros, which I hear are actually built pretty decently (unlike the Inspirons):

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cabsdt1&l=en&OC=N15102V_F_2E

creativename

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I think you can probably rule out a 13" as they get pretty expensive. The 13" vostro included once you apply adequate warranty, RAM, etc. Above $900 anyway.
In the 14" range, I'd just check newegg. my fave is hpdv2990nr, as it has hdmi out and wireless n. Also has discrete video, so probably looking at weaker battery life than you'd like... There are three other options in the price range if you don't mind an asstastic graphics card and no hdmi out, and it doesn't sound like it is a priority. The pavilion 2910us is the only of three other options with wireless n. Not sure how important that is, but nice to have. I rule out the Toshiba offering too, just because they have yet to make anything that looks decent to me... Your notebook tho...

BraydenW

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I'd reccomend the Asus Eee PC. It's a small laptop that runs on Linux instead of windows so it's safe, stable and you can do all that stuff and more that you listed.

Here are the choices in your price range...
Asus Eee PC 901 - $731.99
Asus Eee PC 1000 - $853.99
Click on the links for more details.

These laptops are really great because they use SSD (Solid State Drive) instead of HDD (Hard Disk Drive). This means they can't store as much, but they are much more reliable for a laptop. This laptop has no moving parts which is incredible. I know people with these laptops and they've dropped it a million times from 6 feet and more and it's still running perfectly with no problems. It's also very compact and light. I'd highly reccomend this laptop as it is in my opinion the perfect work/school laptop. When I get a new one it will be this one.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
The EEE is nice, but I wouldn't recommend it as a single computer. It simply isn't really capable enough. I have one, and love it, but it could never completely replace a larger and more powerful machine.