Solved! Help me spend $1500 Impulsively on a new laptop!

jessew6889

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
1_What is your budget?

either $1400 or $1500 (including all taxes, s/h, and whatever accessories I may need/want i.e. DEFINITELY a mouse and a case/neoprene sleve)

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15?, but only because I think 13 is too small and 17 is too big... I'm not very confident on how big i need the screen to be, so I'm open to ideas.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Dunno, but WS-ish is preferable

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I want both, but would rather it be bigger and faster than smaller and slower

5_How much battery life do you need?
2-3 hours? Not too picky on this, I plan to be by an outlet/ at a desk when using

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes, I definitely want to game, Starcraft 2, Modern Warfare 2 (maybe) not sure what else, id atleast like to be able to play new stuff, dosn't have to be at 100 fps on 16x AA...

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Adobe CS5 but lighter stuff, small photoshop and illustrator files, some web design, HD video: ex: Hulu, itunes, etc

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Don't really care, i can't imagine anything ships with less than 100 gbs and thats fin

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

No preference

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2-3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Not needed

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I like Dell, for no particular reason, I'd probably like Apple, but I've never used one, any brand that is somewhat well known would be fine

13_What country do you live in?

US

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Considering an i5 with discrete graphics, but only cause I really don't know what I want... the Alienware m11x seems kinda cool, just maybe a lil too small... I honestly don't know what kind of laptop I can get for $1300ish ($1400 to $1500 total, after everything*)

*everything = tax, shipping, wireless mouse.... case... what else... I dunno but you get what I'm saying!

Also, I have a sams club membership, and theyre nice because you can buy a laptop, and take it back 6 months later and still get a full refund... I like that they let you take something home and try it, where as, dell or hp or whoever wouldn't... I am considering maybe buying one from Sams (pretty limited selection) just to try it out, and see what I'd be happy with... that isn't vital though, if someone points out a great laptop that has everything I want, then ill just dive in, head first. Thanks everyone!

Solution

jessew6889

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hi there,

You noted that you liked the Alienware 11x but it was too small. Have you considered the Alienware M15x? It is slightly above your price range but it definitely meets your specs. It has a 2.8 GHz Intel® Core™ i7-720QM and NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M graphics.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

jessew6889

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

Yes I most certainly did, and It looks great!!! Its just too much... $1500 really is the absolute max... $1500 is already pushing it, i guess is what I'm saying :(

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
For the dell, the graphics card is not as powerful as the asus and all of the other specifications are the same, including the price so I would probably go for the asus over the dell.

The 360m is the most powerful graphics card you can get on a 15 inch laptop screen that I have found. If you want something better, you are going to have to get a 17 inch laptop screen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152192
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220695

Solution