Help me use my Turtle beach xl1 mic and headset at the same time ?

Mar 5, 2017
Hello. I'm a start-up gamer on YouTube. I'm also not very wealthy at the moment so I'm doing everything I can on a budget but also as good quality as possible. I have a set of Turtle Beach XL1s. They're made for Xbox but can be used with a pc.

I'm using a laptop (I know it's not ideal for gaming videos but it's all I have at the moment) and I've been trying hard to record a video but I can get my audio to work right. My laptop is a dell and has that Realtek HD audio on it. So I can't use an aux splitter with it to use mic and headset at the same time. It won't allow both channels at once.

I have a smart tv that I typically have connected to my laptop with an HDMI cable. So I can see whatever it is im doing on a big screen. I got the smart idea to use the 2.5mm aux cable and the 2.5 to 3.5 adapter directly in my computer and set it to "mic in". Works perfect. Now I set my default playback as the HDMI cable and plugged my RCA to 3.5mm adapter into my tv and the RCA cabkesbof my headset. I was thinking I could pull the audio from there then have my mic input and that it would work fine. I was wrong.

When I test my audio out it all picks up. The mic works. Sounds surprisingly great actually. And the tv to headset audio idea works as well. Really good. But, whenever I playback my videos I record my audio gets really static and my voice sounds like I'm talking through a fan IF you can even hear it. I've seen those USB to aux adapters that have one channel specifically for a mic and another specially for a headset. I COULD get one but as I said I'm not a wealthy man. Can anyone explain what my problem is?? I'm not the biggest computer nerd there is but I understand that they work logically. And to me this just doesn't make any sense. I'm tired of putting off my videos over and over and I'm tired of putting more and more money out. Can anyone help me? Or do I just have to break down and buy the USB audio adapter ?

Solution
It sounds like you are actually recording through the internal mic and not the external one. That will usually give you the problem you are having.

Are you sure the input you are using is actually input/output? It has to be both or input only to work with an external mic.

Also, you should check in "Control Panel" and then "Sounds" to make sure that the mic you have plugged in is the default one.
It sounds like you are actually recording through the internal mic and not the external one. That will usually give you the problem you are having.

Are you sure the input you are using is actually input/output? It has to be both or input only to work with an external mic.

Also, you should check in "Control Panel" and then "Sounds" to make sure that the mic you have plugged in is the default one.

Solution