help me with what antivirus i need please =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalNord

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
Hi,
I ordered a pretty pricy gaming-laptop yesterday and I need a good antivirus that I can rely on and that doesn't slow my computer down or interfere with my gaming. I have AVG on my old computer but I don't like it. Not very good with computers so that is why I'm asking you =) I have heard quite alot about norton and kaspersky but i don't have any personal experience with them. Know this question gets asked often but I could not find any recent. The laptop has windows 10. It's going to be used for gaming, studying and to stream a few movies from a streaming- website.

Thanks in advance
T

Xttony

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I used avg for many years and now I am using Avast and I love it, I tried Kaspersky and to be honest I didn't like it, I tried used mcAfee and I still think avast is better. Also avast uses very less resources.

Oakiie

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016
There are alot of free anti-virus software out there, it's just a matter of opinion really. I've never had an antivirus that I paid for, the free verions have been good enough protection.

Personally I use Avira, If you decide to give Avira a go I'd recommend just installing just the antivirus as it also offers a browser extention and 'PC cleanup' tool that you don't need.

If you don't like Avira you could always google top 10 antivirus 2015 and pick out of them.

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
You should look up reviews from dependable sources. I've read a lot of professional reviews. Lately, Norton's is doing very well. And Kaspersky always does very well. I use Trend Micro (as my primary), and it has served me very well. My secondary is Malwarebytes. Trend for real-time protection, and Malwarebytes for more detection if needed. I highly recommend Trend together with (free) Malwarebytes. If you want to go with free AV, then that's OK, too--especially if you enjoy constant adware pop-ups haranguing you to buy the premium version and you don't think your computer is worth the potential threat of a virus like Crypolocker.

drgoodie

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
Hi. Look into EMSISOFT. I recently tried a free version of Avast and when it used 52 - 99% of my cpu I asked for customer support. Three times. After no response other than a ticket #, 7 days later I uninstalled it. I tried a free version of Bitdefender and requested customer support for 9 days. No response from them until I uninstalled it. I went to Bleeping Computer and asked for recommendations. A forum monitor there, quietman7, kindly wrote extensively with two recommendations.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601121/uninstalled-avast-but-avast-antivirusbackupexe-accessed-network/#entry3912877

I am now trying EMSISOFT because of his evaluation. It is unobtrusive, uses little cpu, and yet I am aware it is there and can know what it is doing if I want - including a notice of updates. (I like knowing it is there and operating.) I like its features. I requested customer support and within a few hours - if not within the hour - I received a response and had a rapid-fire and thorough conversation with the support person. Days later the same thing happened - almost immediate response and personalized, not canned. The support person went several extra miles. I will be getting the top security package for three computers. I use Malwarebytes to scan and clean my computer. Also Glary Utilities. Both have free versions but neither are antivirus. I also use WOT (Web Of Trust). It often warns of a site that has been labeled untrustworthy by users when my other software remains silent. It is free. Good luck in finding your solutions. One thing I learned in Windows 10 - Windows Defender can be turned off and Malwarebytes will not emit a peep as 23 different malware programs are downloaded without my knowledge and one starts supposedly scanning my computer and can't be stopped. Running Malwarebytes scan after that revealed 911 "threats." I eventually had to revert to factory settings - Windows 7. After many days of getting back to "normal" I will be staying with Windows 7. More than you asked for, but I hope something in my blurb helps you. Cheers. Donna

Ima Nuone

Estimable
May 29, 2015

Ima Nuone

Estimable
May 29, 2015
Have you gone to sites like pcmag or cnet? Both sites offer excellent reviews of security software programs with honest evaluations of the pros and cons of each. Of course, Almost all are fee based prescription programs. You may need more than just antivirus to be completely safe. A full service security program like Norton, Kaspersky and Bitdefender will include multiple extra features. That solves the problem of cherry picking and downloading a lot of other software. And yes, some of these more complex and intensive programs may leave a larger footprint on your drive than you prefer, but better safe than sorry. Free is free and free is nice, but sometimes it's not enough. As some commentators here have remarked, free/and or trail software may not provide enough protection.

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
I'm using kaspersky internet security, previously i tried AVG and Avast free versions, both of these free antivirus did a good job and were low on resources and did not affect what little gaming i did. Every pc in my opinion should have malwarebytes antimalware free version at least for added protection. I did feel that AVAST was the lightest on resources, as for kaspersky I have only been using it for couple of weeks. I also use Emsisoft antimalware which uses bitdefender database which has proven an excellent piece of software, if malwarebytes misses something then most of the time Emsisoft catches it.

I've noticed with Emsisoft that when updated it checks if anything is still present in quarantine and double checks if its false positive, recently in informed me that one item was which restored. Basically i recommend having these two antimalware scanners.

Mowgli2909

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Bitdefender Total Security 2016 (Tip: Don't buy it off them direct, get it from the likes of Amazon, a lot cheaper). For Malware, go for Malwarebytes there is a free version but I paid out for Home Premium, it's worth it.

Isumbras

Estimable
Nov 8, 2014

Sophos, free, unobtrusive and good.

Soak11

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
Well to clarify you need an anti-virus program & an anti-malware/spyware program. For anti-virus any of the pre-mentioned programs will work fine just be very sure not to ever install 2 antiviruses at the same time. I worked for Microsoft in the virus and spyware removal department and my go to anti-malware was and is Malwarebytes for the win. Just my opinion of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.